Simple Harmonic Motion Average Velocity

In summary: If this is the case, the problem is much more difficult!No, the problem is not that difficult. The symbol ##\langle \cdot \rangle## usually denotes the mean or average value of a quantity. In this case, it refers to the mean value of the x-component of the velocity vector, which is ##v_x = a\omega \cos(\omega t)##. The mean value of ##\cos(\omega t)## over a quarter period is ##2/\pi##, so the mean value of the x-component of the velocity is ##2a\omega/\pi##.
tridianprime

Homework Statement

At time t = 0, a point starts oscillating on the x - axis according to the law x = a sin(ωt). Find the average velocity vector projection (I assume it means magnitude based on previous questions in the book).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I knew that the average velocity over a large motion will be the same as the average velocity over a 1/4 of an oscillation so I let x = a. Then a = a sin(ωt) ⇒ t = π/2ω and so the average velocity is 2aω/π.

However, in the official solution it claims the answer is ((2√2)/3)*aω. I don't see how this makes sense and fear I am either missing something substantial or the official solution is incorrect.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi tri,

Is the problem statement complete ? the average velocity over a long period of time would end up at zero, wouldn't it ?

BvU said:
Hi tri,

Is the problem statement complete ? the average velocity over a long period of time would end up at zero, wouldn't it ?

The problem statement is complete in the sense that the book says no more. I took velocity vector projection and thought the same but I believe, based on previous questions, it is referring to the magnitude.

OK, so what is wanted is the mean of the absolute value of the velocity.
As you say, averaging over one quarter period is OK.
tridianprime said:
⇒ t = π/2ω and so the average velocity is aπ/2ω.
Something goes wrong here. The velocity is ##a\omega\cos(\omega t)##. The average for the cosine gives you a number between 0 and 1.
a and ##\omega## can't end up one as numerator and the other as denominator (on different sides of the dividing line).
For one, it would not yield the dimension of velocity !

BvU said:
OK, so what is wanted is the mean of the absolute value of the velocity.
As you say, averaging over one quarter period is OK.
Something goes wrong here. The velocity is ##a\omega\cos(\omega t)##. The average for the cosine gives you a number between 0 and 1.
a and ##\omega## can't end up one as numerator and the other as denominator (on different sides of the dividing line).
For one, it would not yield the dimension of velocity !

Sorry, I mistyped - it is now fixed. 2aω/π I also fixed another ambiguity in my typing - I hope it is now all unambiguous.

That's what I get too. The ##{2\over 3}\sqrt 2 \approx 0.94 ## is a mystery to me: rather close to 1 !

I suppose it's probably a book error then (with 1500 problems you expect there to be a few, it is irodov's problem book (for reference)) - I doubt we have both forgotten something important, especially with such a simple problem. Thanks.

This is the statement of the original problem from Irodov, I think:
zv6kjt.png

It would seem that Irodov meant the "averaged over 3/8 of the period after the start" to apply for all three parts and not just the last part. When you do that, you should arrive at the given solution. Might have been a transcription error when they translated the original Russian text.

tridianprime said:
The problem statement is complete in the sense that the book says no more

:H

BvU said:
:H

I didn't have that part - I only noted it down from a lesson and was working off of that. Sorry.

@Fightfish Thanks for the clarification

The symbol is ##\langle v_x\rangle##. May this mean ## \langle v(x)\rangle##.

Related to Simple Harmonic Motion Average Velocity

1. What is simple harmonic motion average velocity?

Simple harmonic motion average velocity refers to the average speed at which an object oscillates back and forth in a periodic motion, such as a swinging pendulum or a vibrating spring. It is the average of the instantaneous velocities at different points in the motion.

2. How is simple harmonic motion average velocity calculated?

The formula for calculating simple harmonic motion average velocity is the total distance traveled divided by the total time taken. This can also be expressed as the amplitude (maximum displacement from equilibrium) times the frequency (number of oscillations per unit time).

3. What factors affect the average velocity of a simple harmonic motion?

The average velocity of a simple harmonic motion is affected by the amplitude and frequency of the motion. A larger amplitude or higher frequency will result in a higher average velocity. The mass of the object and the strength of the restoring force also play a role in determining the average velocity.

4. How does simple harmonic motion average velocity relate to the period of the motion?

The period of a simple harmonic motion is the time it takes for one complete oscillation. The average velocity is inversely proportional to the period - as the period increases, the average velocity decreases. This means that a longer period results in a slower average velocity, and vice versa.

5. Can the average velocity of a simple harmonic motion be negative?

Yes, the average velocity of a simple harmonic motion can be negative. This occurs when the direction of the motion changes during the oscillation. For example, in a pendulum, the average velocity will be negative at the highest points of the swing, where the direction of motion changes from downwards to upwards.