Average Velocity for Three People's Trips

In summary: What do you think is causing that?Using your method I don't get the textbook's answer.Interesting...but on what basis could you justify RMS?RMS doesn't give the book answer either I believe, but I was considering a velocity distribution (3 points?).Is that valid for velocities in one direction - I can't say.
Balsam
Person A travels 10.2m/s[forward]. Person B travels 10.4m/s[forward]. Person C travels 3.51m/s[forward]. Find the average velocity for the trio.I added all 3 velocities(just the magnitudes) and divided by 3, but my answer was different from the textbook's. I got 8.0m/s[forward], but the answer in the book is 4.89m/s[forward]. I don't know what I did wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Balsam said:
Person A travels 10.2m/s[forward]. Person B travels 10.4m/s[forward]. Person C travels 3.51m/s[forward]. Find the average velocity for the trio.I added all 3 velocities(just the magnitudes) and divided by 3, but my answer was different from the textbook's. I got 8.0m/s[forward], but the answer in the book is 4.89m/s[forward]. I don't know what I did wrong.
Please remember to use the Homework Help Template when posting here in the schoolwork forums. Thank you.

Now, please show your detailed calculations so we can look for any errors. :smile:

berkeman said:
Please remember to use the Homework Help Template when posting here in the schoolwork forums. Thank you.

Now, please show your detailed calculations so we can look for any errors. :smile:

10.2+10.4+3.51=24.11--> 24.11/3= ~8.0m. <-- That is what I did

Balsam said:
10.2+10.4+3.51=24.11--> 24.11/3= ~8.0m. <-- That is what I did
Your work looks correct. Are you sure you copied the problem statement correctly? Are you sure they all were moving in the same direction (forward)? Are they all facing the same direction as they move?

berkeman said:
Your work looks correct. Are you sure you copied the problem statement correctly? Are you sure they all were moving in the same direction (forward)? Are they all facing the same direction as they move?
Yes, I'm sure. All of the individual velocity values are given in the textbook, I copied them correctly.

Balsam said:
Yes, I'm sure. All of the individual velocity values are given in the textbook, I copied them correctly.
Is there a figure that goes with the question? Can you upload a picture of the question?

Balsam said:
Person A travels 10.2m/s[forward]. Person B travels 10.4m/s[forward]. Person C travels 3.51m/s[forward]. Find the average velocity for the trio.
Are these traveling for identical times OR for identical distances?

Example: 3 friends in a car take turns at driving ...

EDIT: either way, still can't get the book's answer though

NascentOxygen said:
Are these traveling for identical times, or over identical distances?

Try root mean square. Ans comes close.
That could be the method.

Likes berkeman
NascentOxygen said:
Are these traveling for identical times OR for identical distances?

I figured it out-- you have to add all of their displacements to get the total displacement, then add all of their times to get the total time, and then divide those 2 numbers to get their average velocity.

Balsam said:
I figured it out-- you have to add all of their displacements to get the total displacement, then add all of their times to get the total time, and then divide those 2 numbers to get their average velocity.
Does that get you to the book's answer?

256bits said:
Try root mean square. Ans comes close.
That could be the method.
Interesting...but on what basis could you justify RMS?

NascentOxygen said:
Does that get you to the book's answer?
Yeah, it does.

Balsam said:
Yeah, it does.
Using your method I don't get the textbook's answer.

NascentOxygen said:
Interesting...but on what basis could you justify RMS?
RMS doesn't give the book answer either I believe, but I was considering a velocity distribution ( 3 points ?? ).
Is that valid for velocities in one direction - I can's say.
The answer seems to be weighted towards the slower individual though.

Related to Average Velocity for Three People's Trips

What is average velocity?

Average velocity is a measure of the overall rate at which an object or person moves over a certain period of time. It is calculated by dividing the total displacement by the total time taken.

How is average velocity different from average speed?

Average velocity takes into account the direction of motion, while average speed only considers the magnitude of the motion. This means that average velocity is a vector quantity, while average speed is a scalar quantity.

What is the formula for calculating average velocity?

The formula for average velocity is: average velocity = (final displacement - initial displacement) / total time taken. This can also be written as: average velocity = change in displacement / change in time.

Can average velocity be negative?

Yes, average velocity can be negative. This occurs when an object or person moves in the opposite direction of the positive direction, or when the final displacement is less than the initial displacement.

How can average velocity be applied to three people's trips?

Average velocity can be used to compare the overall rates of motion for three people on their individual trips. By calculating the average velocity for each person, we can determine who traveled at a faster or slower pace and by how much.