Average shear stress in going between a spliced rod?

In summary, the problem involves two 3/4-in.-diameter nylon rods that are spliced together with a 2-in. section of plastic pipe and a tensile force of P = 500 lb is applied to the spliced rod. The question is asking for the average shear stress in the glue between the pipe and rods. To solve this, we need to consider the forces acting on each rod as free bodies and the adhesive force acting on the rods.
kal854
Problem statement:
Two 3/4-in.-diameter nylon rods are spliced together by gluing a 2-in. section of plastic pipe over the rod ends, as shown in the figure. If a tensile force of P = 500 lb is applied to the spliced nylon rod, what is the average shear stress in the glue going between the pipe and rods?

Figure:
345zxbo.jpg

I need help with this problem. I know that {average shear stress} = {force} / {area}. But I am very confused when you take into account this splicing! Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
kal854 said:
Problem statement:
Two 3/4-in.-diameter nylon rods are spliced together by gluing a 2-in. section of plastic pipe over the rod ends, as shown in the figure. If a tensile force of P = 500 lb is applied to the spliced nylon rod, what is the average shear stress in the glue going between the pipe and rods?

Figure:
345zxbo.jpg

I need help with this problem. I know that {average shear stress} = {force} / {area}. But I am very confused when you take into account this splicing! Thank you in advance!
Can you articulate in words what's happening here? For example, what forces are acting on each of the two rods (treated as free bodies)? What is the glue doing?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Can you articulate in words what's happening here? For example, what forces are acting on each of the two rods (treated as free bodies)? What is the glue doing?

Chet

I'm assuming there's some adhesive force acting on the rods, as well as P?? But I'm not sure...

Cross post, locked.

I would approach this problem by first calculating the cross-sectional area of the spliced rod. Since the rod diameter is given in inches, I would convert it to feet to be consistent with the force unit of pounds. The cross-sectional area of a circle is calculated using the formula A = πr^2, where r is the radius of the circle. In this case, the radius would be 3/8 inches (3/4 inch diameter divided by 2) or 0.03125 feet. Therefore, the cross-sectional area of one rod would be approximately 0.000772 square feet (π x 0.03125^2). Since there are two rods spliced together, the total cross-sectional area would be double that, or 0.001544 square feet.

Next, I would calculate the average shear stress using the formula given in the problem statement: average shear stress = force / area. Plugging in the given force of 500 pounds and the calculated area of 0.001544 square feet, I would get an average shear stress of approximately 324.07 pounds per square foot (500 / 0.001544).

However, as a scientist, I would also take into account the type of glue used for the splice and its shear strength. Different types of glue have different shear strengths, so it is important to consider this in the calculation. If the shear strength of the glue is known, it can be used to calculate the actual average shear stress at the splice. If it is not known, experiments or tests on the specific type of glue can be conducted to determine its shear strength and therefore, a more accurate average shear stress value.

In conclusion, the average shear stress in the glue going between the pipe and rods can be calculated using the given formula, but it is important to also consider the type of glue and its shear strength for a more accurate calculation.

Related to Average shear stress in going between a spliced rod?

1. What is average shear stress?

Average shear stress is a measure of the force per unit area that acts on a material in a direction parallel to its surface. It is commonly used in engineering and materials science to determine the strength and stability of structures.

2. How is average shear stress calculated?

Average shear stress is calculated by dividing the shear force acting on a material by its cross-sectional area. It is typically measured in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or newtons per square meter (Pa).

3. What is a spliced rod?

A spliced rod is a structural element that is made by joining two or more shorter rods together. This is often done to create longer, more stable rods that can be used in construction or other applications.

4. What factors affect average shear stress in a spliced rod?

The average shear stress in a spliced rod can be affected by several factors, including the material properties of the rod, the geometry of the splice, and the magnitude and direction of the applied load. Other factors, such as temperature and environmental conditions, may also play a role.

5. How does average shear stress affect the strength of a spliced rod?

Average shear stress is a critical factor in determining the strength and stability of a spliced rod. If the shear stress exceeds the material's yield strength, the rod may experience permanent deformation or failure. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider and calculate the average shear stress when designing and using spliced rods in structures.