Average Potential Energy of a hydrogen 1s electron

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the average potential energy of a hydrogen 1s electron using the operator V=e2/4piE0ryou, with the mention of a missing minus sign and the question of the commutator of H and V. The participants also discuss the Hamiltonian operator for a hydrogen atom and a possible method to use, the virial theorem, to calculate the expectation value of an operator.
condiboy
I can't find any reference to this in my notes.

The problem is to calculate the average potential energy of a hydrogen 1s electron. The operator is V=e2 /4piE0r

Physics news on Phys.org
you forgot a minus sign. Also, what's the commutator of H and V?

good call on the minus sign. There's no mention of the commutator on the worksheet, is that necessary to know before doing the problem? I thought that the Hamiltonian operator for a hydrogen atom was -Hbar^2/2u-e^2/r. I'm really confused

I'll give a hint: How do you calculate the expectation value of an operator? I suspect that's what they want you to do.

alxm is right. I wanted you to use a method called the virial theorem in QM, but it might be too complicated.

Related to Average Potential Energy of a hydrogen 1s electron

What is the definition of "Average Potential Energy of a hydrogen 1s electron"?

The average potential energy of a hydrogen 1s electron refers to the average amount of energy that a 1s electron in a hydrogen atom has due to its position in the electron cloud.

How is the average potential energy of a hydrogen 1s electron calculated?

The average potential energy of a hydrogen 1s electron can be calculated using the equation E = -13.6/n^2, where n is the principal quantum number of the electron.

What factors affect the average potential energy of a hydrogen 1s electron?

The average potential energy of a hydrogen 1s electron is affected by the distance of the electron from the nucleus, the charge of the nucleus, and the number of electrons in the atom.

Why is the average potential energy of a hydrogen 1s electron important in chemistry?

The average potential energy of a hydrogen 1s electron is important in chemistry because it helps to determine the behavior and properties of atoms and molecules. It also plays a role in chemical bonding and reactions.

How does the average potential energy of a hydrogen 1s electron change as the electron moves to higher energy levels?

As the hydrogen 1s electron moves to higher energy levels, its average potential energy decreases. This is because the electron is farther from the nucleus and experiences less attraction, resulting in a decrease in its potential energy.