Average IQ of a physicist/mathematician

• Thread starter phynoldus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Average Iq
In summary: Well he's always online period. I'm just omnipresent >.>In summary, a 12-year-old aspiring mathematician and physicist asked about the average IQ of a physicist, to which they were advised not to worry about IQ and instead focus on their love for learning and dedication. The conversation then devolved into discussions about MENSA and trolling, with the advice to not get hung up on IQ and instead focus on motivation and desire to learn. It was mentioned that one member finished high school at 14 and another member has a business degree, and the conversation ended with jokes about cats and a member professing their love for another member.
phynoldus
Hi, i was just wondering what is the average iq of a physicist?
Just asking because i am only 12 yo and i really want a career in mathematics/physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't worry about IQ, it's just a meaningless number. If you want to be a physicist, then go for it.

If you're smart enough to know what physics is at the age of 12, then you're definitely up for it.

Likes billy_joule and nicholei hansen
Haha, your probably right but its nothing wrong with my iq at all i am a mensa member so i was just wondering:D

phynoldus said:
Just asking because i am only 12 yo and i really want a career in mathematics/physics.

Som shrinks took a IQ test of me and i scored over 170, i was very excited about it but is that enough to get a phd in Theoretical Physics?

IQ alone is irrelevant generally, although correlations certainly exist. An IQ of 170 offers few intellectual impediments to getting a PhD in any field, and many with IQ less than 120 get get one.

But, no test score, no matter how high, is enough to get a Ph.D. in any field. Love of learning, dedication, focus and hard work are other key ingredients.

phynoldus said:
Haha, your probably right but its nothing wrong with my iq at all i am a mensa member so i was just wondering:D

Mensa?

A club for a bunch of people with stuffed shirts.

phynoldus said:
Isn't it a bit early in the day to be trolling? :wink:

WannabeNewton said:

That depends on who you're trolling...

micromass said:
That depends on who you're trolling...
Marry me o:)

Get a room you guys! :smile:

Evo said:
Get a room you guys! :smile:
Someone's jealous of me and micro's marital status...

WannabeNewton said:
:cry: Don't rub salt into the wound.

phynoldus said:

I wouldn't worry about your IQ. It really doesn't mean much when it comes to career success. Keep studying science and math and you'll be prepared to do physics when the time comes!

WannabeNewton said:

What do you mean?

phynoldus said:
What do you mean?
I think he means if you're only 12, you don't understand what MENSA is. It's a group of highly opinionated and political people. It's not an organization that is thought of highly by academics, in general.

Also, your IQ will most likely decrease as you get older. The IQ tests for children are not the ones given to adults. So don't get too hung up on a number. There are many studies that show "child genius" starts to drop after age 14 anyway. Many members here exceed your "IQ" results, but you won't hear them talking about it.

What counts is your motivation and desire to learn. Your interests may change as you gain more knowledge and mature. So keep an open mind and follow your instincts.

I finished high school when I was 14, and I can't hold a candle to most people on this forum. Knowing what you don't know is far more important than what you think you know. If only I had access to people like the ones on this forum, my world would have changed.

Take advantage of the incredible opportunity this forum offers to students. Leave any thougts of IQ at the door and enjoy what the amazing people at this forum can offer you.

And don't ask me for help, I have a business degree. :frown:

Last edited:
Evo said:
I finished high school when I was 14...
Why was I never told this?! I think this is reason enough to leave micro for you

WannabeNewton said:
Why was I never told this?! I think this is reason enough to leave micro for you
But micro is a math genius, you could never really love me knowing that.

Evo said:
But micro is a math genius, you could never really love me knowing that.
Yeah but he also has like 50 cats and thinks Kate Upton is unattractive.

WannabeNewton said:
Yeah but he also has like 50 cats and thinks Kate Upton is unattractive.
LOL, he has 2 cats. Don't know about Kate Upton. :-p

Evo said:
LOL, he has 2 cats
2 cats 50 cats what's the difference they're still not as awesome as chacha

WannabeNewton said:
2 cats 50 cats what's the difference they're still not as awesome as chacha

2 cats and a LocoChaCha = quite a circus :smile:

WannabeNewton said:
2 cats 50 cats what's the difference

The answer is 48 cats, WBN.

lisab said:
:frown: makin fun of my math disabilities I see

lisab said:
*CHOKE* <snork>

AHAHAHA, good one lisab!

But one Chacha is as much trouble as 50 cats.

phynoldus said:

I take back what I said earlier:

InvalidID said:
If you're smart enough to know what physics is at the age of 12, then you're definitely up for it.

As per request I am also professing my love for the highly intelligent and high IQ member jorriss.

Evo said:
But one Chacha is as much trouble as 50 cats.

Wow. BAD!

micromass said:
Wow. BAD!
I...am...BAD! :cry:

But I dote on the little beast.

WannabeNewton said:
But things have obviously become boring in the bedroom. Seems both of you are always online here when I happen to log in.

strangerep said:
But things have obviously become boring in the bedroom. Seems both of you are always online here when I happen to log in.
Well he's always online period. I'm just omnipresent >.>

Related to Average IQ of a physicist/mathematician

1. What is the average IQ of a physicist/mathematician?

The average IQ of a physicist/mathematician is estimated to be around 130. This is considered to be in the "gifted" range, with only 2.2% of the population having an IQ at or above this level.

2. How is the average IQ of a physicist/mathematician determined?

The average IQ of a physicist/mathematician is determined through standardized IQ tests, which measure cognitive abilities such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and spatial reasoning. These tests are designed to provide a numerical representation of a person's intelligence.

3. Is there a significant difference in average IQ between physicists and mathematicians?

There is no significant difference in average IQ between physicists and mathematicians. Both fields require high levels of intelligence and analytical thinking, so the average IQ for both is estimated to be around 130.

4. Can a person's IQ change over time?

Yes, a person's IQ can change over time. While a person's IQ is largely determined by genetics, it can also be influenced by environmental factors such as education, experiences, and opportunities for intellectual stimulation. Therefore, a person's IQ can increase or decrease over time.

5. Does having a high IQ guarantee success as a physicist/mathematician?

No, having a high IQ does not guarantee success as a physicist/mathematician. While a high IQ may provide a strong foundation for success in these fields, other factors such as hard work, determination, and creativity also play a significant role in achieving success in these fields.