Average Car Exhaust NOx Emissions with Catalytic Converter Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the average amount of NOx in car exhaust with a catalytic converter and comparing it to another ppm measurement. The participants also consider fuel consumption and efficiency, air consumption for combustion, and the mass of fuel and air needed.
tmerc
Can anyone help me out and tell me what the average amount of ppm of NOx is in car exhaust with a catalytic converter? I found .4 grams per mile and can't seem to find any kind of conversion, but I am trying to compare it to another ppm measurement so it needs to be in ppm.

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
What's fuel consumption/efficiency? How much air to combust that much fuel?

lets say its a 30 mpg car with an air consumption of .2 kg/min

That's how many gallons to drive a mile? And how much air to burn it? I'm not going to do the arithmetic for you --- I'll talk you through the layout.

so at 30 mpg, itd be .033 gallons per mile. how could i find how much air it takes to burn it?

What's the mass of 0.033 gallons? Figure what --- CH1.5 for a stoichiometry, around 36 g/mol for the fuel. How much oxygen do you need to turn that into carbon dioxide plus water? How much air to furnish that much oxygen? What's the mass of that much air? What's the sum of the masses of fuel and air?

Related to Average Car Exhaust NOx Emissions with Catalytic Converter Explained

1. What are car emissions?

Car emissions refer to the gases and particles that are released from a vehicle's exhaust system while it is running. These emissions can include carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, and particulate matter.

2. Why are car emissions harmful?

Car emissions contribute to air pollution and can have negative effects on human health and the environment. They can cause respiratory problems, contribute to climate change, and harm plants and animals.

3. How can car emissions be reduced?

There are several ways to reduce car emissions, including using electric or hybrid vehicles, carpooling or using public transportation, keeping cars well-maintained, and avoiding unnecessary idling.

4. Are all cars subject to emissions testing?

In most countries, cars are subject to emissions testing before they can be registered or sold. However, some countries have exemptions for certain types of vehicles, such as vintage cars.

5. What is the role of catalytic converters in reducing car emissions?

Catalytic converters are devices that are installed in a car's exhaust system to convert harmful pollutants into less harmful substances before they are released into the environment. They play a crucial role in reducing car emissions.