Average acceleration = inst accleration ?

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of average and instantaneous acceleration in relation to a body's motion. The answer to the initial question is no, as the mean value theorem in calculus can be used to show that the average acceleration will always equal the instantaneous acceleration at some point within a given time interval, as long as there are no discontinuities in acceleration as a function of time.
Omid
Can the average acceleration of a body be not equal to the instantaneous acceleration for at least an instant?

I know the answer to the question above is NO. But I find the answer; using Mean value theorem in calculus.
Let me know if there is any answer based on physics.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the meaning of ' average' ?

Let v1=At for a time t1
then v2=Bt+At_1 for an additional time t2.
Then a1=A and a2=B.
However, the [time-weighted] average acceleration is
aavg= (a1t1+a2t2)/(t1+t2)=(At1+Bt2)/(t1+t2).

Last edited:
robphy said:
Let v1=At for a time t1
then v2=Bt+At_1 for an additional time t2.
Then a1=A and a2=B.
However, the [time-weighted] average acceleration is
aavg= (a1t1+a2t2)/(t1+t2)=(At1+Bt2)/(t1+t2).

Sorry, I don't see any relation between your answer and my question.
I meant in a given time interval is it possible for a body to has average acceleration 'a' but never reach it as instantaneous acceleration.

II'm not sure what question your asking, but within in a given inertval there will always be an instant when the acceleration is equal to the avergae accelartion within that inertval as long as there are no discontinuities in the accelartion as a function of time within that interval.

Related to Average acceleration = inst accleration ?

What is average acceleration?

Average acceleration is the change in velocity divided by the time it takes for that change to occur. It represents the average rate at which an object's velocity changes over a certain period of time.

What is instantaneous acceleration?

Instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific point in time, or at a specific instant. It is calculated by taking the limit as the time interval approaches zero in the equation for average acceleration.

What is the difference between average and instantaneous acceleration?

The main difference between average and instantaneous acceleration is that average acceleration represents the change in velocity over a certain period of time, while instantaneous acceleration represents the acceleration at a specific instant in time.

What are some examples of average acceleration?

Some examples of average acceleration include a car accelerating from 0 to 60 miles per hour in 5 seconds, a roller coaster accelerating downward at a constant rate, or a plane speeding up during takeoff.

How is average acceleration calculated?

Average acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time it takes for that change to occur. The equation for average acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.