-aux.20.The lifespan of a particular species of insect is normally distributed

In summary, the lifespan of a species of insect is normally distributed with a mean of $57$ hours and a standard deviation of $4.4$ hours. $90\%$ of the insects die after $t$ hours. The corresponding $z$-score is approximately $1.28155$. Using a statistical calculator or Excel, $t$ is calculated to be approximately $63$ hours.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
The lifespan of a particular species of insect is normally distributed with a mean of $57$ hours and a standard deviation of $4.4$ hours.
$90\%$ of the insects die after $t$ hours.
Represent this information on a standard normal curve diagram,
indicating clearly the area representing $90\%$.
$.9$ on the z-table $\displaystyle \approx z=1.29$. so from W|A
Find the value of t.
$\displaystyle\frac{t-57}{4.4}=1.29$ thus $t\approx 63s$

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi karush.

I find the problem statement a bit ambiguous: "$90\%$ of the insects die after $t$ hours."
I guess you interpreted it as "$90\%$ of the insects are dead after $t$ hours." or "$90\%$ of the insects die after $t$ hours or less."
I'm wondering if they intended: "$90\%$ of the insects die after at least $t$ hours."
In that case you'd get a different answer, but I'm not sure if that's what was intended.
Perhaps you can clarify.

Anyway, for the rest your calculation is fine.

One correction: I don't think they die after 63 seconds which would be a ridiculously short lifespan. Shall we make it hours?

My only contribution is according to my table the $z$-score is closer to 1.28, and the computer gives an approximate value of 1.28155.

ok, i got the bugs out of it.

$\displaystyle\frac{t-57}{4.4}=1.28155$

$t = 62.6432 or \approx 63h$

using the wiki z-table which only goes to hundredths; is there a W|A calculator for getting more digits?

yes i wasn't sure about what they were asking? maybe it should look this

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/1150

Last edited:
I used the command in W|A:

erf(z/sqrt(2))=2(0.4)

and it returns:

\(\displaystyle z\approx1.28155\)

karush said:
using the wiki z-table which only goes to hundredths; is there a W|A calculator for getting more digits?

I have given up on W|A for statistical calculations.
Instead I recommend Excel.
Type in a cell "=NORMSINV(0.9)" and you'll get your result $1.281551566$.

well that is good to know. Its hard to use a table, often choosing the one really not the closest.

thank again. gems of know how every time...

Related to -aux.20.The lifespan of a particular species of insect is normally distributed

1. What is the normal distribution?

The normal distribution is a probability distribution that is symmetric around the mean, with most values falling within one standard deviation of the mean. It is often used to describe natural phenomena such as the height of individuals in a population or the lifespan of a species.

2. How is the lifespan of a species normally distributed?

The lifespan of a species can be affected by various factors such as environmental conditions, genetic makeup, and predation. When these factors are taken into account, the distribution of lifespans tends to follow a bell-shaped curve, with the majority of individuals falling within the average lifespan and fewer individuals on either extreme end.

3. What does it mean for a lifespan to be normally distributed?

A lifespan being normally distributed means that the majority of individuals in a population have a similar lifespan, with a few individuals having shorter or longer lifespans. This distribution is often seen in nature and can be used to make predictions about the lifespan of a species.

4. How is the normal distribution used in studying the lifespan of a species?

The normal distribution is used to analyze and understand the distribution of lifespans in a species. By calculating the mean and standard deviation of the lifespan, scientists can make predictions about the expected lifespan of a species and identify any outliers or abnormalities in the data.

5. Can the normal distribution be applied to all species?

While the normal distribution is commonly seen in many natural phenomena, including the lifespan of a species, it may not be applicable to all species. Some species may have a different distribution of lifespans due to unique environmental factors or genetic characteristics. It is important for scientists to consider the specific characteristics of a species when using the normal distribution to study its lifespan.