Automobile mechanic that actually helps

In summary, the conversation was about sharing a really fantastic website and Youtube channel for car enthusiasts, Scotty Kilmer, who answers questions for free. The conversation also mentioned a mechanic who is honest and highly recommended, and the Car Talk show and website as additional resources for car-related discussions.
Physics news on Phys.org
FrancisZ said:
I've had a lot of questions already, and he answers all of them FOR FREE! Imagine that--an actual decent human being on the internet.

Said on an internet forum where professional physicists routinely help with physics questions FOR FREE!

Awesome! Thanks for sharing, Francis.

I still like Car Talk better. Of course, the problem with that show is I've probably forgotten what problem they're solving by time they answer the caller's question, but it's still entertaining.

Don't drive like my brother!

Francis, I have a mechanic like that. My wife and I take our vehicles to him, and he keeps them road-worthy. If he suspects a problem that might strain his shop's capacity, he'll refer us to a bigger shop with more resources. He doesn't like to charge us for such evaluations if it turns out that we might have to go elsewhere, so we have to press him to accept payment, and try to steer more business his way. In this economic down-turn, honest mechanics like him are doing well. People don't trade cars as frequently, and it's essential that you keep up with mechanical glitches before they become $$$$ problems.

BobG said:
I still like Car Talk better. Of course, the problem with that show is I've probably forgotten what problem they're solving by time they answer the caller's question, but it's still entertaining.

Car Talk online is another excellent place to talk to mechanics:

http://www.cartalk.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Automobile mechanic that actually helps

1. How does an automobile mechanic actually help?

An automobile mechanic helps by diagnosing and repairing issues with a vehicle, ensuring its safe and efficient operation. They also provide regular maintenance services to prevent future problems and extend the lifespan of the vehicle.

2. What qualifications does an automobile mechanic have?

An automobile mechanic typically has a high school diploma and completes a trade school program or apprenticeship. They also need to obtain certification from the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) to demonstrate their knowledge and skills.

3. What are the common services provided by an automobile mechanic?

Common services provided by an automobile mechanic include oil changes, tire rotations, brake repairs, engine tune-ups, and transmission maintenance. They may also perform more complex tasks such as engine replacements and electrical system repairs.

4. How do I know if I need to take my car to an automobile mechanic?

If your car is experiencing any issues, such as strange noises, warning lights, or decreased performance, it's best to take it to an automobile mechanic for diagnosis. Regular maintenance services should also be scheduled to keep your car in good condition.

5. Can an automobile mechanic work on all types of vehicles?

While most automobile mechanics specialize in a certain type of vehicle, such as cars or trucks, they are trained to work on a variety of makes and models. Some mechanics may also have specific expertise in certain areas, such as diesel engines or hybrid vehicles.