Automobile Centripetal acceleration

In summary, the cornering performance of an automobile is evaluated on a skidpad by measuring the maximum speed it can maintain around a circular path on a dry, flat surface. This is calculated as a multiple of "g", the free-fall acceleration due to gravity. The main factors affecting performance are the tire and suspension. For a Dodge Viper GTS maneuvering a skidpad of radius 58 m at 89 km/h, the centripetal acceleration due to static friction can be calculated as 2.53 g's. The coefficient of static friction is not necessary for this calculation.
bearhug
The cornering performance of an automobile is evaluated on a skidpad, where the maximum speed that a car can maintain around a circular path on a dry, flat surface is measured. Then the centripetal acceleration is calculated as a multiple of "g", the free-fall acceleration due to gravity at the Earth's surface. The main factors affecting the performance are the tire and the suspension of the car. A Dodge Viper GTS can negotiate a skidpad of radius 58 m at 89 km/h. Calculate the centripetal acceleration due to static friction for this maneuver.

89km/h= 24.7m/s

Originally the first equation that pops into my head is a=v^2/r. However what's throwing me off is how the problem says that accerleration is a multiple of g (9.8). Then it also mentions to calculate the accleration due to static friction fs. Is the coefficient of static friction at all relevant to this problem? All the other equations I've looked at involve the coefficient which is also what's confusing me.

Physics news on Phys.org
bearhug said:
Originally the first equation that pops into my head is a=v^2/r. However what's throwing me off is how the problem says that accerleration is a multiple of g (9.8).
You have the right equation. To express the acceleration in terms of g, just divide your answer by 9.8 m/s^2. (Example: If the acceleration were 19.6 m/s^2, that would be 2 g's.)

Then it also mentions to calculate the accleration due to static friction fs. Is the coefficient of static friction at all relevant to this problem? All the other equations I've looked at involve the coefficient which is also what's confusing me.
Static friction is producing the centripetal force, but that's just background info. All you need to do is calculate the acceleration.

I would approach this problem by first understanding the concept of centripetal acceleration and its relationship to circular motion. Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration towards the center of a circular path, and it is caused by the centripetal force, which is provided by the friction force in this case.

To calculate the centripetal acceleration, we can use the formula a = v^2/r, where v is the velocity and r is the radius of the circular path. In this case, the velocity is 24.7 m/s and the radius is 58 m, so the centripetal acceleration would be (24.7)^2/58 = 10.5 m/s^2.

Now, we need to calculate the centripetal force, which is provided by the friction force. In this case, the friction force is the static friction force, as the car is not slipping on the surface. The maximum static friction force can be calculated using the formula fs = μsN, where μs is the coefficient of static friction and N is the normal force (equal to the weight of the car). Since the problem does not provide the coefficient of static friction, we cannot calculate the exact value of the friction force.

However, we can estimate the minimum coefficient of static friction needed to maintain the given speed and radius. Using the formula v^2 = μsrg, where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), we can rearrange the equation to solve for μs. Plugging in the given values, we get μs = v^2/rg = (24.7)^2/(58*9.8) = 0.107.

Therefore, the minimum coefficient of static friction needed for the Dodge Viper GTS to maintain a speed of 89 km/h around a circular path with a radius of 58 m is 0.107. This value can be used to further evaluate the tire and suspension performance of the car, as they are the main factors affecting the maximum speed and centripetal acceleration in this maneuver.

Related to Automobile Centripetal acceleration

1. What is automobile centripetal acceleration?

Automobile centripetal acceleration refers to the acceleration that occurs when a car is moving in a circular path. It is the rate at which the car's velocity changes direction as it moves along the curve.

2. How is automobile centripetal acceleration calculated?

To calculate the centripetal acceleration of an automobile, you can use the formula a = v²/r, where "a" is acceleration, "v" is velocity, and "r" is the radius of the curve. The unit of measurement for centripetal acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s²).

3. What factors affect automobile centripetal acceleration?

The main factors that affect automobile centripetal acceleration are the speed of the car and the sharpness of the curve. The greater the speed and the sharper the curve, the higher the centripetal acceleration will be. The mass and size of the car may also have a slight impact.

4. What is the importance of automobile centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is important for safely navigating turns and curves while driving. It allows the car to maintain its path and prevent skidding or sliding out of control. Understanding centripetal acceleration can also help engineers design safer vehicles and roads.

5. How can automobile centripetal acceleration be increased?

The only way to increase automobile centripetal acceleration is by increasing the speed or the sharpness of the curve. However, it is important to note that a higher centripetal acceleration also means a higher risk of losing control of the vehicle, so it is crucial to always follow the speed limit and drive carefully on sharp turns.