Automatic trasmission and rear axel

• Thread starter omaremanuels
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Automatic
In summary, the person is asking for help with their V8 350 carburated Vortec motor and TH700R4 4 speed automatic transmission. They want to know which rear axle would provide more displacement at high speeds, as the current one feels forced. The current rear axle has 42 gear crown grooves, and they also want to know how to make the lock up or overdrive work automatically. The response suggests that a steeper axle ratio will provide faster acceleration, but a shallower ratio will give a higher top speed. They also recommend consulting with someone named Stingray for more information.
omaremanuels
i have a v8 350 carburated vortec motor and a automatic trasmission th700r4 4 speed , i want to know which one rear axel i get more displacement when the car to go in high speed, because with the actual rear axel it feeling forced, the rear axel have a gear crown inside 42 grooves. and i want to know how to do to the lock up or overdrive works in automatic way.

o_emanuels@yahoo.com thanks for help

spanish
tengo un motor v8 350 carburado montado en un malibu 81 con una trasmision th700r4 4 velocidades pero en alta velocidad se queda con falta de desplazamiento debido al diferencial trasero, arranca con mucha potencia pero en alta se queda, yo quisiera mas desplazamiento en alta, mas desarrollo, la corona interna del diferencial tiene 42 ranuras. y tambien quisiera saber como hago para que el lock up o overdrive trabaje de forma automatica

o_emanuels@yahoo.com gracias por la ayuda

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Omar. Unfortunately, your wording is very difficult for me to understand. And despite having Spanish blood, I can't communicate in that language.
If I understand correctly, the response is that the steeper that axle ratio is, the faster you will accelerate. A shallow ratio will give slower acceleration, but a higher top end.
For example:
If your car (even with that itty-bitty baby motor :biggrin: ) can run 13 seconds and top out at 100 mph in a quarter mile and continue on to 120 mph in the long run with 3:23 gears, swapping down to a 4:56 axle might give you 11.5 at 110 mph in the quarter, but your top speed will be only that 110 mph.
Those are just 'for instance' figures, not something that I worked out mathematically. Still, that's the essence of how the axle ratio affects performance.
You should really have a conversation with Stingray about this.

Last edited:

Hola,

En cuanto a la transmisión automática y el eje trasero, es importante tener en cuenta que ambos trabajan juntos para proporcionar la potencia y la velocidad adecuadas al vehículo. En este caso, con el motor V8 350 carburado y la transmisión TH700R4 de 4 velocidades, es posible que necesites un eje trasero con una relación de engranajes más alta para obtener un mejor desplazamiento en alta velocidad. Esto significa que el eje trasero tendría una corona con menos ranuras (por ejemplo, 3.73 o 4.11) en lugar de las 42 ranuras que mencionas. Esto permitirá una mayor rotación de las ruedas y, por lo tanto, una mayor velocidad en alta.

En cuanto al lock up o overdrive, esto es controlado por la computadora del vehículo y se activa automáticamente en ciertas condiciones de velocidad y carga del motor. Si notas que no se está activando correctamente, puede ser necesario revisar y posiblemente reparar el sistema de control electrónico de la transmisión.

Espero que esta información te sea útil. Si tienes más preguntas, no dudes en escribirme a mi correo electrónico o_emanuels@yahoo.com. ¡Buena suerte con tu vehículo!

Related to Automatic trasmission and rear axel

1. What is an automatic transmission?

An automatic transmission is a type of vehicle transmission that allows for the gear shifts to occur automatically without the need for the driver to manually change gears.

2. How does an automatic transmission work?

An automatic transmission works by using a series of gears, clutches, and sensors to determine the appropriate gear to use based on the speed of the vehicle and the amount of throttle being applied. This allows for a smooth and efficient transfer of power from the engine to the wheels.

3. What are the benefits of an automatic transmission?

Some benefits of an automatic transmission include easier and more convenient driving, as the driver does not have to constantly shift gears, and better fuel efficiency due to the precise control of gear shifts by the transmission.

4. What is a rear axle?

A rear axle is a central shaft that connects the rear wheels of a vehicle and transfers power from the engine to the wheels. It also helps to support the weight of the vehicle and allows for smooth movement of the wheels.

5. How does the rear axle work in conjunction with the automatic transmission?

The rear axle works in conjunction with the automatic transmission by receiving power from the transmission and transferring it to the rear wheels, allowing for the vehicle to move. It also helps to support the weight of the vehicle and contributes to the overall handling and stability of the vehicle.

Back