Automatic gear changing bicycle

In summary: I actually saw an infomercial for this type of bike a few months ago. Have you tried googling for a match? I'll try if I have time...I think it will be quite difficult, as mgb mentioned to get it back into a lower gear.Instead of using the pedals, just make the transmission use the speed of the back wheel as the shift reference. When you slow down, it automatically gets you into a lower gear, and as it speeds up it goes into a higher gear.If you think of the rear
rao shahb
hi..

i want to make a automatic gear changing bicycle in which instead of manual changing of gears they change automatically with variation of speed...

for this project i need help..if you know any thing about this then please reply...by posting

Engineering news on Phys.org
rao shahb said:
hi..

i want to make a automatic gear changing bicycle in which instead of manual changing of gears they change automatically with variation of speed...

for this project i need help..if you know any thing about this then please reply...by posting

I actually saw an infomercial for this type of bike a few months ago. Have you tried googling for a match? I'll try if I have time...

berkeman said:
I actually saw an infomercial for this type of bike a few months ago. Have you tried googling for a match? I'll try if I have time...

i m waiting for your reply...i tried googling but i don't find anything useful..

You want to design and build an automatic shift bicycle, but you can't even figure out how to search on Google for what's out there? :cry:

Mech_Engineer said:
You want to design and build an automatic shift bicycle, but you can't even figure out how to search on Google for what's out there? :cry:

i get many things related to the topic but they are not easily understandable...some of them are patents and some are just description...

Maybe you could also look at a continuously variable transmission (CVT). It might actually reduce the complexity of having switches and things to decide when to change gears, etc, etc.

There have been a few autochanging bikes - but it's generally much easier to make them that change up as you peddle faster. Making ones that can change down as you peddle slower or allow you to change down while not moving are a lot harder.

More on my point, a quick google shows that quite a few CVTs are available for motor scooters. They seem to run around $100. It seems to me to be very reasonable alternative if you're interested.

I think it will be quite difficult, as mgb mentioned to get it back into a lower gear.

Instead of using the pedals, just make the transmission use the speed of the back wheel as the shift reference. When you slow down, it automatically gets you into a lower gear, and as it speeds up it goes into a higher gear.

If you think of the rear dérailleur it's easy to make it go into a high gear - if you take the spring off a normal unit the weight of the hanging part will pull the chain into the smallest cog (highest gear) but to make it go down (lifting the hanger and moving to a higher gear) you need a very strong spring.
In practice this puts so much friction on everything that you can't move it.

There have been a few attempts at a hub gear with a clutch (really a preselect) to switch into bottom gear automaticaly once you have stopped. But none of them seem to have caught on.

A sprung split plate+belt style CTV could work but they are heavy and inefficient compared to a bike chain.

I'd use something like a opposed con variable drive the used the tension pull on the chain to sense the load. it would gear down as the pull was harder, and ease up as the pull reduced

dr

Related to Automatic gear changing bicycle

1. How does an automatic gear changing bicycle work?

An automatic gear changing bicycle uses sensors and a microprocessor to detect changes in speed and terrain, and automatically adjusts the gear ratio accordingly. The sensors measure factors such as wheel speed, pedal cadence, and torque, and the microprocessor uses this information to determine the appropriate gear for the current riding conditions.

2. What are the benefits of using an automatic gear changing bicycle?

One of the main benefits of an automatic gear changing bicycle is convenience. Riders do not have to manually shift gears, which can be especially helpful for beginners or those with limited mobility. Additionally, an automatic gear changing bicycle can help maintain a consistent level of effort throughout a ride, as the gears will automatically adjust to the terrain.

3. Are there any disadvantages to using an automatic gear changing bicycle?

One potential disadvantage is the cost. Automatic gear changing bicycles tend to be more expensive than traditional bicycles. Additionally, some riders may prefer the control and customization that comes with manually shifting gears. There may also be a learning curve for using an automatic gear changing bicycle, as the rider must trust the bike to make the appropriate gear changes.

4. Can the gears be manually changed on an automatic gear changing bicycle?

Yes, most automatic gear changing bicycles have the option to switch to manual mode. This allows the rider to manually shift gears if they prefer, or if the automatic system is not functioning properly. However, the automatic mode is typically the default setting and must be intentionally switched to manual mode.

5. Is an automatic gear changing bicycle suitable for all types of riding?

An automatic gear changing bicycle can be suitable for most types of riding, including commuting, leisure riding, and even some forms of racing. However, for more technical or competitive riding, some riders may prefer the control and precision of manually shifting gears. It is important to consider your riding style and needs when deciding if an automatic gear changing bicycle is right for you.