Augmented matrix linear algebra

In summary, the given system has (a) no solution when b=1/2 and a≠1, (b) many solutions when b=1/2 and a=1, and (c) a unique solution when b≠1/2. The matrix can be reduced by swapping the 2nd and 3rd rows and then using row reduction to get it in echelon form.
devilaudy

Homework Statement

Given the system whose augmented matrix is
 1 1 1 1 
 1 −1 0 a 
 0 1 b 0 
Determine (if possible) conditions on a and b such that this system has (a) no solution (b) many solutions (c) a unique solution.

Homework Equations

-Row reduction
-No solution: row of zero
-Many solutions: one or more free variables
-Unique solution: pivot in every column

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to do it, but my answers were wrong. The good answers are a) b=1/2, a≠1 b) b=1/2, a=1 c) b≠1/2.

I tried to reduce the matrix and I had:

 0 0 1-2b 1-3a 
 1 0 b 2a 
 0 1 b a 

Can someone explain how to reduce the matrix properly or what am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
devilaudy said:

Homework Statement

Given the system whose augmented matrix is
 1 1 1 1 
 1 −1 0 a 
 0 1 b 0 
Determine (if possible) conditions on a and b such that this system has (a) no solution (b) many solutions (c) a unique solution.

Homework Equations

-Row reduction
-No solution: row of zero
-Many solutions: one or more free variables
-Unique solution: pivot in every column

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to do it, but my answers were wrong. The good answers are a) b=1/2, a≠1 b) b=1/2, a=1 c) b≠1/2.

I tried to reduce the matrix and I had:

 0 0 1-2b 1-3a 
 1 0 b 2a 
 0 1 b a 

Can someone explain how to reduce the matrix properly or what am I doing wrong?

Right off the bat I swapped the 2nd and 3rd rows. After that, I row reduced to get a matrix in echelon form. I get the same answers as your "good" ones.

Related to Augmented matrix linear algebra

1. What is an augmented matrix in linear algebra?

An augmented matrix is a representation of a system of linear equations in a matrix form. It consists of the coefficients of the equations in the left side and the constants in the right side, separated by a vertical bar. This allows for a more efficient way of solving systems of equations using matrix operations.

2. How is an augmented matrix used to solve systems of linear equations?

To solve a system of linear equations using an augmented matrix, we use row operations to transform the matrix into its reduced row echelon form. This process involves adding, subtracting, or multiplying rows by a constant to eliminate variables and solve for the remaining variables.

3. Can an augmented matrix have more than one solution?

Yes, an augmented matrix can have more than one solution. This occurs when the number of equations is less than the number of variables, resulting in infinitely many solutions or a range of solutions.

4. What is the purpose of using augmented matrices in linear algebra?

Augmented matrices provide a more efficient way of solving systems of linear equations by using matrix operations. They also allow for a visual representation of the equations, making it easier to identify patterns and solve the system of equations.

5. Are augmented matrices only used for solving systems of equations?

No, augmented matrices can also be used for other purposes in linear algebra, such as finding the inverse of a matrix or determining the rank of a matrix. They are a useful tool for performing various operations on matrices.