Audio Crossover Frequency Equation....

In summary, this equation is used to calculate the crossover frequencies for a three tier sound system.
Gary Trinder
Can anyone verify or correct this equation to work out the crossover frequencies of a three tier sound system please? I never was the best in my physics classes...

(Please find attached "Crossover Freq.dpf")

And thank you in advance for your time.
Sorry about the way i have had to write it.Many thanks,Craft

Attachments

• Crossover Freq.pdf
    22.3 KB · Views: 291
  • Crossover example.jpg
    Crossover example.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 506
  • Crossover example workings out.jpg
    Crossover example workings out.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 500
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I have no idea what you are doing. Why are you choosing those frequencies, and what is the point of your calculations? I'm totally missing something.

Sorry, its hard to write in one foul swoop without getting too confusing.
To set the scene: This is all in a free field environment (no variables) and I'm only picking these frequencies in particular so i can do the equation now and know i am correct.

This is so i can just apply the equation with the correct frequencies on every different sound system that i use giving the best sound out of the speakers. (Just to add, I will also be taking the room into consideration after this process and not at this point).

My objective is to split three tiers of speakers equality using a logarithmic (Log10) equation.
The reason i have chosen these frequencies is because i know:
- The bass drivers (speakers) go as low as 30Hz, in turn i want to roll off at a 24Db per octave slope. Thus choosing 35Hz as a rough estimate.
- The tops (top speakers) go as high as 19000Hz and again i roll off at a 24Db per oct.
- In between these two sets of speakers is a middle layer of speakers (mids) that overlap (frequency wise) both the tops and bass.

When the speakers overlap it boosts the signal by 3Db so the idea is that i create the most flat frequency response from all the speakers combined by crossing the frequencies over at the value worked out by the equation i added before. Also at the point of crossover a -3Db attenuation is added to remove the unwanted boost.

I'm not 100% sure i got the equation correct though, my maths and algebra skills are not the best. ;)

I was always told in university that this was the correct way to get the least stress out of the speakers and the cleanest sound.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, its greatly appreciated.

Gary

Ps Attached is a picture of the sort of sound systems i am currently using.

Attachments

• Ligwa.jpg
    Ligwa.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 467

Related to Audio Crossover Frequency Equation....

1. What is an audio crossover frequency?

An audio crossover frequency is the frequency at which a speaker or audio system splits the incoming audio signal into different frequency ranges. This is done to ensure that each speaker or component receives only the frequencies it is designed to handle, resulting in better sound quality and overall performance.

2. How is the audio crossover frequency calculated?

The audio crossover frequency is typically calculated using an equation that takes into account the driver's impedance, the desired crossover point, and the filter slope. The most commonly used equation is the second-order Butterworth filter equation, which is Fc = (1/2πRC)^2 * (1+√2).

3. What is a crossover point?

A crossover point is the frequency at which the audio signal is divided between the different components in a speaker or audio system. It is usually set to the point where the response of the two components intersects, resulting in a smooth transition between them.

4. What is the role of the filter slope in the audio crossover frequency equation?

The filter slope determines how quickly the audio signal is rolled off after the crossover point. It is expressed in decibels per octave (dB/oct), with a steeper slope resulting in a more drastic reduction in the audio signal above or below the crossover point.

5. How does the audio crossover frequency affect sound quality?

The audio crossover frequency plays a crucial role in sound quality as it ensures that each component in the speaker or audio system is handling the frequencies it is designed for. A well-designed crossover frequency can result in a more balanced and accurate sound reproduction, while a poorly set crossover can lead to distortion and muddiness in the audio.