Atwood's machine with a cylinder

In summary, the system of a massless string wrapped around a uniform cylinder and tied to a block of equal mass is released from rest. By using conservation of energy and applying a F=ma argument to show that the block and cylinder have the same acceleration, it can be determined that the acceleration of the system is \frac{4}{5}g. This is due to the assumption that the string does not slip with respect to the cylinder.
dnp33

Homework Statement

a massless string of negligible thickness is wrapped around a uniform cylinder of mass m and raidus r. the string passes up over a massless pulley and is tied to a block of mass m at its other end.
the system is released from rest. what are the accelerations of the block and the cylinder? assume that the string does not slip with respect to the cylinder.
Use conservation of energy (after applying a quick F=ma argument to show that the two objects move downward with the same acceleration)

Homework Equations

F=ma
K=[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]mv2+[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]Iw2
P=mgd
where w=angular frequency
and I=[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]mr2 is the moment of inertia.

The Attempt at a Solution

I wrote an F=ma equation for each mass, and because they are the same mass should undergo the same acceleration
I wasn't sure if that was as in depth as the question required.

Then i wrote a conservation of energy equation for the system
mgd + mgd = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]mv2 + [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]mv2 + [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]Iw2

and solved for velocity, where i used the kinematics equation
v2=2ad
to solve for the acceleration, which i found to be
[tex]\frac{4}{5}[/tex]g

the problem is i really have no idea if I'm right, or if there was an error in my reasoning.
any feed back would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Your solution is correct and well-reasoned. Using F=ma to show that the block and cylinder have the same acceleration is a good first step, and using conservation of energy to solve for the acceleration is the correct approach. Your use of the kinematics equation to solve for the final velocity is also correct.

One thing you could consider adding to your solution is a brief explanation of why the block and cylinder have the same acceleration. This is because the string is assumed to not slip with respect to the cylinder, meaning that the string and the cylinder move together as one object. Since the string is also attached to the block, the block will have the same acceleration as the cylinder.

Overall, your solution is well thought out and correct. Keep up the good work!

Related to Atwood's machine with a cylinder

1. What is an Atwood's machine with a cylinder?

An Atwood's machine with a cylinder is a simple mechanical device used to demonstrate principles of classical mechanics. It consists of a pulley, a cord, and two masses, one on each end of the cord. The larger mass is attached to the pulley, while the smaller mass is attached to the other end of the cord which wraps around the pulley. In this configuration, the system is in equilibrium and can be used to study concepts such as acceleration, force, and energy.

2. How does an Atwood's machine with a cylinder work?

The Atwood's machine with a cylinder works based on the principle of conservation of energy. As the larger mass descends, it gains kinetic energy, while the smaller mass gains potential energy. This energy transfer causes the system to accelerate until the masses reach equilibrium again. The acceleration can be calculated using the mass and the tension in the cord.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of an Atwood's machine with a cylinder?

The acceleration of an Atwood's machine with a cylinder is affected by the difference in mass between the two masses, the amount of friction in the system, and the angle of the pulley. In an ideal scenario with no friction and a massless pulley, the acceleration would be constant and equal to the difference in mass divided by the total mass.

4. How does the angle of the pulley affect the tension in the cord?

The angle of the pulley affects the tension in the cord due to the change in the direction of the force being applied. As the angle increases, the tension in the cord also increases, making the system more stable and reducing the likelihood of the cord slipping off the pulley. However, if the angle becomes too large, the friction between the cord and the pulley can also increase, affecting the accuracy of the measurements.

5. What are some real-world applications of Atwood's machine with a cylinder?

Atwood's machine with a cylinder has various real-world applications, such as in elevators to calculate the tension in the cables and the acceleration of the elevator, in cranes to determine the amount of weight that can be lifted, and in exercise equipment to study the force exerted by the user and the resistance provided by the weights. It is also used in physics classrooms to demonstrate concepts such as Newton's laws of motion and energy conservation.