Atwoods machine, solve for mass

In summary, the problem involves a simple Atwood's machine with two masses, m1 and m2. After 3.0 seconds, both masses have a speed of 3.0 m/s and a kinetic energy of 60 J. The distance traveled by each mass is 4.5 m. Using the equation K=0.5mv^2, it is possible to solve for the sum of the masses, which is 60/9. However, finding the individual masses requires another equation which can be found by using the given distances and time to calculate acceleration. The equation v=at can then be used to solve for m1 and m2, but further substitution is needed to fully solve the problem.
aaronszone1

Homework Statement

A simple Atwood's machine uses two masses, m1 and m2. Starting from rest, the speed of the two masses is 3.0 m/s at the end of 3.0 s. At that instant, the kinetic energy of the system is 60 J and each mass has moved a distance of 4.5 m. Determine the values of m1 and m2.

Homework Equations

The equation I know that must be used is K=.5mv^2 where K is kinetic energy, m is mass, and v is velocity.
But I'm having a hard time finding another equation to solve for the masses.

The Attempt at a Solution

scan0001.jpg

scan002.jpg

Sorry if the pictures are hard to see my writing in. I tried to edit them so my writing was easier to see.

Physics news on Phys.org
I started by multiplying the equation K=.5mv^2 by 2, so I can solve for m instead of v. I then plugged in the given values to get m1 + m2= 60/9. Then I tried to use the distances and the time given to solve for the acceleration. I used a=d/t and got a= 4.5/3. Then I tried to use the acceleration and the velocity to solve for m1 and m2. I used v=at and got m1 + m2 = 9/8a.I then tried to substitute the equations m1 + m2 = 60/9 and m1 + m2 = 9/8a to solve for m1 and m2 but I'm still stuck. I'm thinking there has to be another equation I'm missing but I'm not sure what it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Related to Atwoods machine, solve for mass

What is an Atwood's machine?

An Atwood's machine is a simple mechanical device that consists of two masses connected by a string that passes over a pulley. It is used to study the relationship between forces, mass, and acceleration.

How do you solve for mass in an Atwood's machine?

To solve for mass in an Atwood's machine, you can use the equation: m1/m2 = (a1-a2)/(a2-g), where m1 and m2 are the masses on either side of the pulley, a1 and a2 are the accelerations of the masses, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What is the acceleration of an Atwood's machine?

The acceleration of an Atwood's machine can be calculated using the equation: a = (m1-m2)/(m1+m2) * g, where m1 and m2 are the masses on either side of the pulley and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What are the assumptions made in an Atwood's machine?

The main assumptions made in an Atwood's machine are that the string is massless, the pulley is frictionless, and the masses are point masses. These assumptions allow for simplified calculations and do not significantly impact the results in most cases.

How does an Atwood's machine relate to Newton's laws of motion?

An Atwood's machine can be used to demonstrate Newton's laws of motion, specifically the second law (F=ma). The masses on either side of the pulley experience equal and opposite forces, and the net force on the system is equal to the difference in the masses multiplied by the acceleration.