Attractive force between Venus and Sun

In summary, the conversation involved finding the attractive force between Venus and the sun using the equation F = Gm1m2/d^2, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 is the mass of the sun, m2 is the mass of Venus, and d is the distance between their centers. The calculated force was 5.4687 x 10^22 N, and there was some discussion about rounding and unit conversion. It was also noted that a different result was obtained using WolframAlpha due to slightly different values for the masses.
sadifermi
I just need someone to double check my answer and confirm they get the same answer as I do. Thanks.
Question: Find the attractive force between Vneus and the sun. The distance between their centers is 1.08x10^11.

Equation: F = Gm1m2/d^2
G= 6.67x10^-11 N.m^2/kg^2
m1 (mass of sun)= (1.98x10^30kg)
m2 (mass of venus) = (4.83x10^24kg)
d= (1.08x10^11)

= (6.67x10^-11 N.m^2/kg^2)(1.98x10^30kg)(4.83x10^24kg)/(1.08x10^11)^2
=5.4687 x 10^22

Please let me know if this is the correct answer asap. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer has no units.

sadifermi said:
I just need someone to double check my answer and confirm they get the same answer as I do. Thanks.
Question: Find the attractive force between Vneus and the sun. The distance between their centers is 1.08x10^11.

Equation: F = Gm1m2/d^2
G= 6.67x10^-11 N.m^2/kg^2
m1 (mass of sun)= (1.98x10^30kg)
m2 (mass of venus) = (4.83x10^24kg)
d= (1.08x10^11)

= (6.67x10^-11 N.m^2/kg^2)(1.98x10^30kg)(4.83x10^24kg)/(1.08x10^11)^2
=5.4687 x 10^22

Please let me know if this is the correct answer asap. Thanks!

You have just omitted the next digits rather than round off to the 5 figures you have chosen to specify.

besides, your answer should only be to 3 figures!

And as per the previous post - you need some units.

Thanks folks, appreciate it!

WolframAlpha gets a slightly different result: 5.54*10^22 N

It uses a mass of venus which is larger by 1% and a mass of sun which is larger by .5%.

sadifermi said:
Thanks folks, appreciate it!

So you should have been saying 5.47 (correctly rounded) not 5.46 (merely truncated)

Related to Attractive force between Venus and Sun

1. What is the attractive force between Venus and the Sun?

The attractive force between Venus and the Sun is known as gravitational force. It is a force of attraction that exists between any two objects with mass, and it is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the Sun.

2. How is the attractive force between Venus and the Sun calculated?

The attractive force between Venus and the Sun can be calculated using Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, which states that the force between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. Is the attractive force between Venus and the Sun constant?

No, the attractive force between Venus and the Sun is not constant. It varies with the distance between the two objects, with the force being stronger when they are closer together and weaker when they are farther apart. This is known as an inverse square relationship.

4. How does the attractive force between Venus and the Sun affect the orbit of Venus?

The attractive force between Venus and the Sun is what keeps Venus in its orbit around the Sun. This force acts as a centripetal force, constantly pulling Venus towards the Sun and keeping it in a circular orbit.

5. How does the attractive force between Venus and the Sun compare to other planets?

The attractive force between Venus and the Sun is similar to the force between any other planet and the Sun. It is dependent on the masses of the two objects and the distance between them, so the force will vary between each planet and the Sun depending on their specific characteristics.