What is the gravitational force on the 52[kg] mass

In summary, the gravitational force on the 52[kg] mass due to the mass at 12[m]jˆ is −1.0x10^-10[N]ˆı + 2.5x10^-10[N]jˆ.
heartshapedbox

Homework Statement

A particle of mass 52[kg] is at 5.0[m]ˆi a particle of mass 13[kg] is at 12[m]j, and a particle of mass 13[kg] is at −12[m]jˆ. What is the gravitational force on the 52[kg] mass due to the mass at 12[m]jˆ?

answer: −1.0 × 10−10[N]ˆı + 2.5 × 10−10[N]jˆ

Homework Equations

F2on1=Gm1m2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Separated into components...

i component) f2on1=(6.67x10^-11)(52)(13)/5^2
= -1.0x10^-10 this is correct

j component) shouldn't this be solved in the same manner?
f2on1=(6.67x10^-11)(52)(13)/12^2
=3.13x10^-10

What am i missing from solving the y component?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have little experience with gravity problems dealing with more than two bodies but in this case I think that it might work at least in my case to draw the particle positions on graph paper and proceed to solve for the magnitude of gravity between each body which could then be broken up into horizontal and vertical vector components

Likes heartshapedbox
Kaura said:
I have little experience with gravity problems dealing with more than two bodies but in this case I think that it might work at least in my case to draw the particle positions on graph paper and proceed to solve for the magnitude of gravity between each body which could then be broken up into horizontal and vertical vector components

This is what i have done :) The y component is giving me a hard time but I have found the x component. j stands for y and i stands for x.

The "r" in the gravitational force formula is the distance between the masses. You can't use individual component distances. Just think what would happen, for example, if two masses had the same ##\hat{i}## component but different ##\hat{j}## components. Would the gravitational force in the ##\hat{i}## direction be infinite?

One way to approach the problem is to first calculate the distance between the masses and find the magnitude of the force using the gravitational force formula, then split that into components using the geometry of the situation.

(I see that @Kaura beat me to the punch!)

Likes heartshapedbox
Great thanks so much guys, @Kaura and @gneill :)

I understand it easily now!

heartshapedbox said:
Great thanks so much guys, @Kaura and @gneill :)

I understand it easily now!

Glad to help I found this problem to be very interesting as well

Likes heartshapedbox
Kaura said:
Glad to help I found this problem to be very interesting as well
Awesome :) Sorry you had correctly told me what to do at the start, but I misunderstood. Thank you :)

Related to What is the gravitational force on the 52[kg] mass

What is the gravitational force on the 52[kg] mass?

The gravitational force on a 52[kg] mass is the force exerted by the Earth's gravity on an object with a mass of 52 kilograms. This force is directed towards the center of the Earth and is responsible for keeping objects on the surface of the Earth.

How is the gravitational force on the 52[kg] mass calculated?

The gravitational force on an object is calculated using the formula F = G(m1m2)/r^2, where G is the universal gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, and r is the distance between them. In this case, the gravitational force on the 52[kg] mass would be the force exerted by the Earth's gravity on the 52[kg] mass.

What is the value of the gravitational force on the 52[kg] mass?

The value of the gravitational force on the 52[kg] mass will vary depending on the location on Earth. However, the average gravitational force on Earth is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s^2). This means that the Earth's gravity will exert a force of 9.8 Newtons (N) on a mass of 52 kilograms.

How does the mass of the object affect the gravitational force?

The mass of an object does not directly affect the gravitational force on it. However, the force of gravity is proportional to the mass of the objects involved. This means that the larger the mass of an object, the greater the gravitational force it will experience from the Earth.

What factors can influence the gravitational force on the 52[kg] mass?

The main factor that can influence the gravitational force on the 52[kg] mass is the distance between the mass and the Earth. The closer the mass is to the center of the Earth, the stronger the gravitational force will be. Other factors that can affect the gravitational force include the mass of the Earth and the presence of other nearby objects with their own gravitational pull.