Atomic Spectra, transmission of photons

In summary, the rotational energy of a molecule with angular momentum L and moment of inertia I can be written as E=\frac{L^2}{2I}. Using Bohr's rule for quantized angular momentum L = n\hbar, we can find the wavelength of photons emitted in the n=2 to n=1 transition of an H_2 molecule. The moment of inertia for this molecule is I = \frac{1}{2}mr_0^2, where m=938MeV/c^2 and r_0 = 0.074nm. By correcting a mistake in the calculations, it was determined that the emitted wavelength is of the order 10^{-5}, which is in line with expectations
Brewer

Homework Statement

A molecule with angular momentum L and moment of inertia I has a rotational energy that can be written as [tex]E=\frac{L^2}{2I}[/tex]. Assuming that angular momentum is quantized according to Bohr's rule [tex]L = n\hbar[/tex], find the wavelength of the photons emitted in the n=2 to n=1 tranistion of the [tex]H_2[/tex] molecule. This molecule has moment of inertia [tex]I = \frac{1}{2}mr_0^2[/tex], where m=938[tex]MeV/c^2[/tex] and [tex]r_0[/tex] = 0.074nm.

Homework Equations

I assumed only the ones given in the question.
Possibly the Bohr Model

The Attempt at a Solution

By using the rotational energy alone as given above I got a [tex]\delta E[/tex] = 2.30x{tex]10^{13}[/tex] J, which in turn lead to an emitted wavelength of something of the order 48. I can see that this is clearly wrong.

Do I need to use the Bohr model equation for this as well somehow? The rotational energy given by the numbers in the question is tiny, thus giving a huge rotational energy. But the energies given from the Bohr model are quite small, so simple addition of them is pointless, as the Bohr model won't have much (if any) effect on the overall energy will it?

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you have everything you need. Your energy is clearly way off. I would suggest you put the numbers back in again - or show some intermediate steps.

Looks like I forgot the squared term in the numerator of the fraction.

When I remember this, it looks like the wavelength I come out with is of the order [tex]10^{-5}[/tex]. This looks better doesn't it?

Brewer said:

When I remember this, it looks like the wavelength I come out with is of the order [tex]10^{-5}[/tex]. This looks better doesn't it?
No idea abt molecules but for Bohr species its generally of the order[tex]10^{-7}[/tex] m

Brewer said:

This is a molecular rotational transition, much longer wavelength than Bohr. 10^(-5) is about right.

Related to Atomic Spectra, transmission of photons

1. What is Atomic Spectra?

Atomic Spectra refers to the unique pattern of electromagnetic radiation emitted or absorbed by atoms. It is a result of the movement of electrons between energy levels within an atom.

2. How are Atomic Spectra produced?

Atomic Spectra are produced when atoms are heated or excited by an external source, causing electrons to jump to higher energy levels. When these electrons return to their normal state, they emit photons of specific frequencies, resulting in a unique spectral pattern.

3. What is the significance of Atomic Spectra?

Atomic Spectra are significant in understanding the structure of atoms and their behavior. The unique spectral patterns can be used to identify elements and their isotopes, as well as measure the energy levels of electrons within an atom.

4. What is the relationship between Atomic Spectra and the transmission of photons?

The transmission of photons refers to the movement of photons through a medium, such as air or a prism. The spectral lines of Atomic Spectra correspond to specific frequencies of photons, which can be absorbed or emitted during the transmission process.

5. How is the transmission of photons used in practical applications?

The transmission of photons is used in a wide range of practical applications, including spectroscopy, telecommunications, and medical imaging. By analyzing the transmission of photons through a substance or material, scientists can gather information about its composition, structure, and properties.