Atom Shapes: Visualizing Electron Clouds

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of visualizing atomic orbitals and their shapes, and the use of diagrams and videos to help understand them. The analogy to standing waves and the availability of computer-generated videos are also mentioned.
clm321
im having a little trouble trying to picture an atom in my head with accurate electron cloud designee and shape can someone give me some pictures or a site that might help.
every picture i ever see of an atom is with the electron orbital in curricular shapes but i know there is a wide eray of different orbital shapes.

Physics news on Phys.org
thank you that is actualy a good site. but I am also having troubles getting to imagine how it moves through these orbital and back to the ground state and then back to the other orbitals

Well, s - 1 lobe, p - 2 lobes, d - 4 lobes and so on.

It's really highly analogous to a standing wave (on a string or whatever) only in three dimensions.

Molecular orbitals, in turn, can be visualized as combinations of atomic ones.

ok but is there maybe i computer generated video i could watch of an electron going from a ground state to an excited state with complicated orbitals such as an excited oxygen atom

Related to Atom Shapes: Visualizing Electron Clouds

1. What is an electron cloud?

An electron cloud is a visual representation of the probability of finding an electron within a given region of space around an atom. It shows the areas where the electrons are most likely to be found, rather than specific paths or orbits.

2. How is the shape of an electron cloud determined?

The shape of an electron cloud is determined by the energy of the electron and the number of electrons in the atom's outermost energy level. The shape is also influenced by the repulsion between electrons and the attractive force between electrons and the nucleus.

3. What are the different shapes of electron clouds?

There are four main shapes of electron clouds: s, p, d, and f. The s shape is spherical, the p shape is dumbbell-shaped, the d shape is clover-shaped, and the f shape is complex and difficult to visualize.

4. How do electron clouds relate to an atom's chemical properties?

The shape and orientation of an atom's electron cloud determine its chemical properties. It affects the atom's reactivity, ability to bond with other atoms, and the types of bonds it can form.

5. Can the shape of an electron cloud change?

Yes, the shape of an electron cloud can change if the atom gains or loses electrons. When electrons are added or removed, the energy levels and number of electrons in the outermost energy level change, resulting in a different electron cloud shape.