Does a Completed Electron Orbital Differ?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the behavior of electrons in atoms with completed and uncompleted 2p orbitals. The expert clarifies that in a closed shell atom, the total orbital and spin angular momentum is zero, while in an incomplete version, there would be splitting in the energy spectrum. The expert also mentions that for a many electron atom, orbitals are not uniquely defined and doubly occupied orbitals differ from singly occupied ones in size and energy. They also provide a link to a resource for further information on the topic.
Ryan Reed
In an atom of something like oxygen with a completed 2p orbital, do the paired electrons within the orbital behave differently than the same 2p orbital that is uncompleted? Bear with me and try to understand this question as I am a little fuzzy on the subject and I don't know how else to ask this. If I say anything wrong, please correct me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if your question is whether the electrons behave differently in both cases, then yes obviously they must be different. In particular, the total orbital and spin angular momentum for a closed shell atom are zero.

blue_leaf77 said:
Well, if your question is whether the electrons behave differently in both cases, then yes obviously they must be different. In particular, the total orbital and spin angular momentum for a closed shell atom are zero.
How would the closed shell behave differently from its incomplete version?

For example if we put a closed shell atom in a weak magnetic field, and suppose we can neglect nuclear spin, there will be no splitting in the energy spectrum. In contrast, if one electron were removed from the same atom, splitting due to Zeeman effect will be observed.

Related to Does a Completed Electron Orbital Differ?

1. What is an electron orbital?

An electron orbital is a region in an atom where an electron is most likely to be found. It is represented as a three-dimensional space that surrounds the nucleus of an atom.

2. How is an electron orbital completed?

An electron orbital is completed when it contains the maximum number of electrons allowed based on the energy levels and sublevels of the atom. For example, the first energy level can hold a maximum of two electrons, while the second energy level can hold a maximum of eight electrons.

3. How does a completed electron orbital differ from an incomplete one?

A completed electron orbital differs from an incomplete one in terms of the number of electrons present. A completed orbital has the maximum number of electrons, while an incomplete one has fewer electrons and may have unpaired electrons.

4. What factors determine the completion of an electron orbital?

The completion of an electron orbital is determined by the number of energy levels and sublevels in an atom, as well as the number of electrons present in the atom. The Pauli exclusion principle, which states that no two electrons can have the same set of quantum numbers, also plays a role in determining the completion of an orbital.

5. How does the completion of an electron orbital affect the properties of an atom?

The completion of an electron orbital affects the properties of an atom in various ways. For example, a completed orbital leads to a more stable configuration, resulting in a lower energy state for the atom. This can also affect the reactivity and chemical properties of the atom.