Atom of Argon Charge: Help with Electron Work

In summary, in beta decay, a neutron changes into a proton and ejects a beta particle, which results in a decrease in the number of nucleons in the nucleus.
Flave
A little help with electron work

Hi, I'm new and I was wondering if anyone could help me with this

An atom of argon

Ar

is ionised by the removal of 2 orbiting electons.
In the ion there will be..

a) ______ protons and ______ neutrons

b) So what is the charge in C of this ion?

__
note, having tried this I got 18 protons and 18 neutrons but have no clue about b and I'm not sure if a is true.
Thankyou if anyone can assist me, I'd be very greatful indeed.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
18 + 18 = 36. But the number above the symbol is 37. So, 18 protons plus how many neutrons will give you 37 "nucleons"?

No clue about b? How many electrons are missing? (2) . What the charge of each electron?

19 neutrons? thanks.

Also, for b would it be double the charge of an electron?
2 x 1.6x10^-19?

Also, can I ask what a constituent particle is?
it says ask for one for this ion that has
a zero charge per unit mass ration
and the largest charge per unit mass ratio.

2 x "e" that's correct. You might need to specify that the net charge is positive, since the ion is missing electrons.

As for the second part: talk about an obtuse way of stating the question. "Constituent particle" is referring to the three fundamental particles that make up atoms (electron protons and neutrons).

The question asks: "Which particle has no net charge (regardless of it's mass), and which particle has least mass."

thankyou very much for your help. :)

I have another problem that is troubling me in this paper
A

92 U

nucleus may decay by emitting to beta- particles to form a plutonium nucleus.

X
Y P

State what Xand Y represent and their values.

Well I think that X would be the number of nucleons and Y the number of protons but I'm puzzled as to how I'd solve it.

Do you know what happens in "beta decay"? OK I'll tell you. A neutron "changes into" (the whole story is advanced and more complicated) a proton and ejects a high-speed electron (that's the beta particle). Does the X number change? HOw about the Y number?

(By the way, what you call "X" should be called "A," and what you call "Y" shoulc be called "Z." The A number is the nucleons or mass number, the Z number is the protons or charge number.)

Related to Atom of Argon Charge: Help with Electron Work

1. What is the charge of an atom of Argon?

The charge of an atom of Argon is neutral, meaning it has no overall charge. This is because the number of positively charged protons in the nucleus is equal to the number of negatively charged electrons surrounding the nucleus.

2. How many electrons does an atom of Argon have?

An atom of Argon has 18 electrons. This is because Argon is located in the 18th column, or group, of the periodic table, which indicates the number of valence electrons an element has. Since Argon is a noble gas, it has a full outer electron shell with 8 valence electrons, and also has 10 inner core electrons.

3. How does the electron configuration of Argon contribute to its stability?

The electron configuration of Argon is 2-8-8, meaning it has a full outer electron shell. This full shell makes it energetically stable, as it does not need to gain or lose electrons to achieve a more stable configuration. This is why Argon is a noble gas, and does not readily react with other elements.

4. What is the atomic mass of an atom of Argon?

The atomic mass of an atom of Argon is 39.948 atomic mass units (amu). This is the weighted average of the masses of all the naturally occurring isotopes of Argon. Isotopes are atoms of the same element with different numbers of neutrons in the nucleus.

5. How does Argon contribute to our daily lives?

Argon is used in many everyday applications, such as in light bulbs to prevent the filament from oxidizing and burning out. It is also used in welding and cutting processes, and as an insulating gas in double-paned windows. Liquid Argon is used in cryosurgery to freeze and destroy abnormal tissues, and in the production of semiconductors.