Atmospheric Surface Pressure and Density

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's project to rewrite an old Stellar System Generator and their difficulty in finding formulas for calculating a planet's Atmospheric Surface Pressure and Density. They are seeking help from the group to find such formulas or a website that has them. They also mention the parameters they wish to use for the calculations.
arakish
I am not sure this belongs here. However, I could not think of where else to put it.

I am rewriting an old Stellar System Generator originally began way back in 1983. I kept updating and revising it until the death of my family in 1997. I just recently found it in some old file boxes and decided to update it.

The only problem I am having is finding formulas/equations that allow one to calculate a planet's Atmospheric Surface Pressure and Density. I thought I had written such down, but evidently not. I am also trying to find such in all the books I own, but there are about 2000 of them.

Thus, I am hoping someone here knows of such or can lead me to a website that has such. I have also tried web searches, but to no avail.

Forgot to say that the parameters I wish to use are Surface Gravity, Scale Height, Mean Molecular Weight, and Global Average Surface Temperture.Thanks.

rmfr

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hi arakish

Unfortunately those variables alone are insufficient. Pressure isn't computable via those variables unless you know the density - and visa versa.

Related to Atmospheric Surface Pressure and Density

1. What is atmospheric surface pressure and how is it measured?

Atmospheric surface pressure is the force exerted by the weight of the air molecules above a certain point on Earth's surface. It is measured using a barometer, which typically consists of a sealed tube of liquid, such as mercury, that responds to changes in atmospheric pressure.

2. How does atmospheric pressure affect weather patterns?

Atmospheric pressure plays a crucial role in determining weather patterns. High pressure systems typically bring clear, dry weather, while low pressure systems often bring clouds and precipitation. Changes in pressure can also impact wind patterns, leading to changes in temperature and humidity.

3. What factors can influence atmospheric pressure?

Several factors can affect atmospheric pressure, including temperature, altitude, and the amount of water vapor in the air. Changes in these variables can lead to changes in air density, which ultimately leads to changes in atmospheric pressure.

4. How does atmospheric pressure vary across the globe?

Atmospheric pressure varies across the globe due to differences in temperature, altitude, and other factors. Generally, areas near the equator have lower atmospheric pressure due to warmer temperatures, while areas near the poles have higher atmospheric pressure due to colder temperatures.

5. How does atmospheric pressure affect aircraft flight?

Atmospheric pressure has a significant impact on aircraft flight, as it affects air density and aerodynamic lift. Pilots must take into account changes in atmospheric pressure when planning flights, as well as during takeoff and landing, to ensure safe and efficient travel.