Atmospheric Pressure Question?

In summary: pressure can be expressed in many ways and is important to know in order to avoid pressure related dangers.
vac

Homework Statement

A scuba diver can withstand pressures up to 4 atmospheres without risk of getting the bends.

Homework Equations

What is the maximum safe diving depth?

The Attempt at a Solution

4 atmospheric pressure = 40 meters down in water.
Thus the maximum safe diving depth is 40 meters.

Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting...
Was there a question in all that?

A scuba diver can withstand pressures up to 4 atmospheres without risk of getting the bends.

Is that 4 atmospheres total pressure or 4 more than on the surface?

That's exactly how the question is being asked.

This is the question:

vac said:
This is the question:
A person Underwater has pressure of Water Plus(+) Atmosphere above.

CWatters said:
Is that 4 atmospheres total pressure or 4 more than on the surface?

adjacent said:
A person Underwater has pressure of Water Plus(+) Atmosphere above.

Can you please elaborate?

CWatters said:
Hint: What is the pressure at the surface?
Can you please show me how?

So the question is: "do I have the right answer?" Is that correct?

The weight of the water creates a pressure that varies with depth.
But the ocean also has air pressing on it from above.
Thus the pressure experienced by a diver is a combination of the pressure of the water alone and the pressure of the air.

What you really need to know is the relationship between the pressure experienced by the diver and the depth of the diver. This is usually expressed as a gauge pressure - i.e. what the diver would read on the pressure gauge on his wrist.

When the diver stands on the shore - there is pressure on his body from the air.
How much pressure is this? (Hint: what is the atmosphere made of?)
As he descends, the water provides some additional pressure.

You will have had some information about this previously in your course.
There are lots of ways this could be taught - so we are left second guessing your teachers.
Please don't make us guess.

Question - as asked - makes absolutely no sense. Bends have nothing to do with pressures "scuba diver can withstand". This is bad physics, bad physiology and bad medicine.

Pressure is important to the bends [1]... and the pressure range in which the risk of the bends (on a casual ascent) is low can also be withstood by the diver. Certainly it is the rapid decompression that results in the bends and not the pressure itself [2] but I don't think the wording is so bad that it makes "absolutely no sense" at all.

[1] http://dwb.unl.edu/calculators/pdf/bends.pdf
[2] http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Physica...quilibrium/Case_Studies/Case_Study:_The_Bends
http://www.bishopmuseum.org/research/treks/palautz97/phys.html

More accessible:
http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/outdoor-activities/water-sports/question1011.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, but it makes no sense at all. First of all, what does it mean "diver can withstand 4 atm"? I have friends that were below 60 meters, so 7 atm. Apparently they survived. Saturation divers routinely work in much deeper water, where they withstand tens of atm (I believe record dive was somewhere below 500 meters, so 50 atm).

Then, bends are not directly related to the depth. Yes, the deeper you go the longer the decompression procedure (unless you are saturated, then it doesn't get any longer), but it is not depth that causes bends.

Question is poorly worded and suggests things that are completely wrong. I am not going to change my mind.

Simon Bridge said:
Pressure is important to the bends [1]... and the pressure range in which the risk of the bends (on a casual ascent) is low can also be withstood by the diver. Certainly it is the rapid decompression that results in the bends and not the pressure itself [2] but I don't think the wording is so bad that it makes "absolutely no sense" at all.

[1] http://dwb.unl.edu/calculators/pdf/bends.pdf
[2] http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Physica...quilibrium/Case_Studies/Case_Study:_The_Bends
http://www.bishopmuseum.org/research/treks/palautz97/phys.html

More accessible:
http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/outdoor-activities/water-sports/question1011.htm

Borek said:
Sorry, but it makes no sense at all. First of all, what does it mean "diver can withstand 4 atm"? I have friends that were below 60 meters, so 7 atm. Apparently they survived. Saturation divers routinely work in much deeper water, where they withstand tens of atm (I believe record dive was somewhere below 500 meters, so 50 atm).

Then, bends are not directly related to the depth. Yes, the deeper you go the longer the decompression procedure (unless you are saturated, then it doesn't get any longer), but it is not depth that causes bends.

Question is poorly worded and suggests things that are completely wrong. I am not going to change my mind.

I think the OP didn't intend to talk about the reality but talk about a simple pressure question.

Last edited by a moderator:
CWatters said:
Hint: What is the pressure at the surface?

Try entering 40m into this calculator. Why is the answer not 4 atmospheres? ..

http://www.calctool.org/CALC/other/games/depth_press
When I tried that calculator I plugged different values until come up with 30.2408 meters

4 ATM = 30.2408

The problem is the pressure increase is not a constant, I learn about this long ago in chemistry but I forgot how I did it :(

adjacent said:
I think the OP didn't intend to talk about the reality but talk about a simple pressure question.

Probably. But there are so many good questions and so many good ways of asking an interesting question that I start to boil when I see see a nonsensical one.

vac said:
Can you please show me how?

Vac, you are forgetting person on the surface is already under a pressure.

What is the pressure in your room right now? Approximately, I am not asking about exact value.

vac said:
The problem is the pressure increase is not a constant, I learn about this long ago in chemistry but I forgot how I did it :(
the pressure increase will be constant as long as you are swimming in a fluid. maybe it won't be pure fluid, since there will be stuff suspended in the water, but I think most seawater or freshwater will be pretty darn fluid.

vac said:
as Borek says, this is not right. decompression sickness occurs due to a quick change in the pressure. But when they say "risk of getting the bends", maybe they mean something like "If you immediately swam to the surface, are you at risk". This kindof makes more sense. But then, you're going to have other stuff to worry about anyway, like your lungs exploding.

vac said:
When I tried that calculator I plugged different values until come up with 30.2408 meters

4 ATM = 30.2408

The problem is the diver is subject to 1 Atmos on the surface. So at 40m he is subject to more than just the pressure due to 40m of water.

Related to Atmospheric Pressure Question?

1. What is atmospheric pressure?

Atmospheric pressure is the force exerted by the weight of the Earth's atmosphere on a given area. It is measured in units of pressure, such as millibars or inches of mercury.

2. How is atmospheric pressure measured?

Atmospheric pressure is measured using a device called a barometer, which can be either an aneroid barometer or a mercury barometer. These instruments measure the pressure exerted by the atmosphere on a column of liquid or a flexible metal chamber.

3. What are the units of measurement for atmospheric pressure?

The most common units for measuring atmospheric pressure are millibars (mb) and inches of mercury (inHg). Other units include pascals (Pa), atmospheres (atm), and pounds per square inch (psi).

4. What factors can affect atmospheric pressure?

Atmospheric pressure can be affected by changes in temperature, altitude, and weather patterns. As temperature increases, atmospheric pressure decreases, and vice versa. At higher altitudes, atmospheric pressure decreases due to the thinner air. Weather patterns, such as high and low pressure systems, can also impact atmospheric pressure.

5. How does atmospheric pressure impact weather?

Atmospheric pressure plays a significant role in shaping weather patterns. High pressure systems are associated with fair weather and clear skies, while low pressure systems are associated with cloudy and stormy weather. Changes in atmospheric pressure can also indicate changes in weather patterns, such as the approach of a storm.