ATF DW-1 SPEC = Proprietary?

• Thread starter YoshiMoshi
  • Start date
YoshiMoshi
TL;DR Summary
ATF DW-1 SPEC = Proprietary?
I see modern vehicle manufacturers recommend using only "their" fluids in their cars. Even though vehicle manufacturers don't make their own fluids, and someone else makes it for them. Presumably to some requirements specification, and testing procedures. Gone are the days of just using any 5W-30 oil in your engine it seems.

Anyways, I have an Acura that is about 10 years old. It says to only use Acura DW-1 in the transmission. The thought process in the first paragraph, and trying to do a search for the DW-1 specification, has lead me to believe that the DW-1 specification is proprietary? I can't seem to find the DW-1 specification. Yet I see none Honda/Acura branded ATF at part stores claim to be compatible with DW-1. But how can this be if the DW-1 specification is proprietary? How can I trust these none Honda/Acura branded ATF to be compatible with DW-1 if the specification is proprietary?

Seems like we now live in the day of, lets create our own requirements specifications for our fluids, that are probably not far off from other commercial fluids, and we will keep the specification proprietary and put in service information to only use our fluids? Now our customers will have no choice but to pay extra for fluids with our logo on it.

If the DW-1 specification is not proprietary, can someone please post a link to it? I can't find it.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet), for DW-1, which lists the ingredients, is at:
https://www.collegehillshonda.com/sds/08200-9008sds.pdf
(above found with:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=08200-9008+MSDS)

A search finds many sources at various prices:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=dw-1+transmission+fluid+napa
Also try leaving the "+napa" off the end.

Its main Claim-To-Fame seems to be somewhat lower viscosity that leads to smoother shifting.

Some user sites that showed up claim that other brands "work fine."

Cheers,
Tom

What is ATF DW-1?

ATF DW-1 is an automatic transmission fluid specifically formulated for use in Honda vehicles. It is designed to meet the unique operational requirements of Honda automatic transmissions, providing optimal performance and longevity.

Why is ATF DW-1 specified as proprietary?

The term "proprietary" indicates that the formulation of ATF DW-1 is exclusive to Honda and has been specifically engineered to suit the operational characteristics of their vehicles' transmissions. This exclusivity often means that the exact composition of the fluid is not publicly disclosed, and its unique properties are optimized for Honda vehicles.

Can I use a different brand of transmission fluid in my Honda?

It is generally recommended to use the specific type of transmission fluid prescribed by the vehicle manufacturer. Using ATF DW-1 in Honda vehicles is advised because it is tailored to meet the specific requirements of their transmissions. Using a different brand or type might lead to suboptimal performance or even damage.

What are the risks of not using ATF DW-1 in a Honda vehicle?

Using a non-specified transmission fluid in a Honda vehicle can lead to several issues. These might include improper lubrication, increased wear and tear, transmission shudder, and potentially premature transmission failure. It can also void warranties and lead to higher repair costs in the long term.

Where can I purchase ATF DW-1?

ATF DW-1 can be purchased at authorized Honda dealerships, some auto parts stores, and through various online retailers. Purchasing from authorized dealers ensures the authenticity and quality of the fluid, safeguarding your vehicle's performance and warranty.