At What Temperature Will the Ring Just Fit Over the Rod?

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expansion
I don't see the point in changing it if everyone knows me as Katchum :-PAnyway, I'm glad you got it sorted out :) In summary, to find the common temperature at which a brass ring with an inner diameter of 2.992 cm will fit over a steel rod with a diameter of 3.00 cm, the difference in expansivity between the two materials (8E-6) is multiplied by the difference in diameter (0.008 mm), giving a factor of 2.67E-3. This factor is then divided by the expansivity (8E-6) to determine the temperature difference of 334 degrees. Adding the original temperature of 25 degrees gives the final answer of 360
Saladsamurai
A certain steel rod has a diameter of 3.00 cm at 25 celsius and brass ring has an inner diameter of 2.992 cm at 25 degrees celsius. At what common temperature will the ring just fit over the rod?

I am using rate of linear expansion: [tex]\Delta d=d_0\alpha*\Delta T[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow d_f=d_0(\alpha \Delta T+1)[/tex]

So, letting d= diameter of steel rod and d'= diameter of brass ring and setting the two equal to each other I have:

[tex]d_0(\alpha \Delta T+1)=d'_0(\alpha' \Delta T+1)[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow d_0(\alpha \Delta T+1)-d'_0(\alpha' \Delta T+1)=0[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow d_0\alpha \Delta T+d_0-d'_0\alpha' \Delta T+d'_0=0[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow d_0\alpha \Delta T-d'_0\alpha' \Delta T=-d_0-d'_0[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow T_f=\frac{-d_0-d'_0}{d_0\alpha-d'_0\alpha'}+T_0[/tex]

Now d_0=3.0 cm and d'_0=2.992 cm
alpha=11*10^(-6) and alpha'= 19*10^(-6)
and T_0=25

I am getting a number like 280,000 degrees which is obviously ridiculous.

The answer is supposed to be 360 celsius. What am I screwing up here?

Thanks,
Casey

Physics news on Phys.org
Wouldn't it be simpler to say that the difference in expansivity is (19E-6 - 11E-6) = 8E-6
You need to make up a difference of 0.008/3 = 2.7E-3

So T difference = 2.7e-3/8E-6 = (2.7/8) * 1000 K = 333K

ps. Nice latex though

mgb_phys said:
Wouldn't it be simpler to say that the difference in expansivity is (19E-6 - 11E-6) = 8E-6
You need to make up a difference of 0.008/3 = 2.7E-3

So T difference = 2.7e-3/8E-6 = (2.7/8) * 1000 K = 333K

ps. Nice latex though

I am sorry mgb, but I cannot follow your thought process. And the solution is 360 C. Moreover, I would like to know what exactly is incorrect about my method

Casey

It's a differential expansion, the steel and brass are getting bigger at different rates.
This is equivalent to a unchanging rod and a ring expanding at the difference rate ie. 8E-6 /K

You need to make up 3.000 - 2.992 = 0.008mm in 3mm = 0.008/3 = 2.67E-3
Every degree increase it by a factor of 8E-6, you need a factor of 2.67E-3
So the temperature difference is = 334deg
Add the original 25deg and the answer is 360 deg (roughly)

Last edited:
Could someone please explain why my method in post #1 does not work?!

It seems like I have taken everything into account. But something goes wrong...

Casey

mgb, I can appreciate your intuitive method, but it unfortunately I cannot answer questions for my class in an intuitive manner. I need to be able to show mathematically why this is true.

Last edited:
Come on Dick. You're usually willing to slap some sense into me.
It seems like the more clearly I present a problem to PF, the less people like to respond to me.

Maybe I should start a new account with no 'gold letters' and present my problems like a tard...like this: Plz I NEED helllpppppppp! And then show no attempt at a solution.

Okay. I am done venting. Sorry.:redface:

Casey

How about you made a mistake in the algebra? Third equation.

How about great!? Problem solved. Is that why they call katchum?...'cause that's what you do?

Casey

Heheh, no katchum's just that guy in Pokemon! I just happened to keep my first nickname from 10 years ago.

Related to At What Temperature Will the Ring Just Fit Over the Rod?

1. What is thermo-linear expansion?

Thermo-linear expansion is the tendency of a material to expand or contract due to changes in temperature. This phenomenon is caused by the increase or decrease in the average distance between atoms or molecules in a material.

2. What factors affect thermo-linear expansion?

The main factors that affect thermo-linear expansion are the material's coefficient of thermal expansion, the temperature change, and the initial length or volume of the material. The type of material, its structure, and external pressure can also play a role.

3. How is thermo-linear expansion measured?

Thermo-linear expansion is typically measured by using a device called a dilatometer, which measures the change in length or volume of a material as temperature changes. The results are then used to calculate the material's coefficient of thermal expansion.

4. How does thermo-linear expansion affect everyday objects?

Thermo-linear expansion can affect everyday objects in various ways. For example, it can cause bridges and roads to expand and contract, leading to cracks and other structural issues. It can also cause gaps or leaks in pipes and can affect the accuracy of measuring devices.

5. How is thermo-linear expansion used in practical applications?

Thermo-linear expansion is used in many practical applications, such as in the design of buildings and bridges, the manufacturing of electronic devices, and the construction of roads and railways. It is also used in thermometers, thermostats, and other temperature-sensitive devices.