At what point or points on the x-axis is the electric potential zero?

In summary: This equation can be simplified to: V(x) = \frac{k(13nC-1.2nC)}{|x|} \,\,\,\,\, for \,\,\, 0 < x < 0.06Therefore, the electric potential will be zero at any point on the x-axis where:13nC-1.2nC = 0or, 13nC = 1.2nCThis can be rearranged to find the value of x:x = \frac{0.06}{13/1.2} = 0.005538461538
smoics

Homework Statement

A 13.0 nC charge is at x= 0 cm and a -1.2 nC charge is at 6 cm.

Homework Equations

V=kq/r

The Attempt at a Solution

0=13K/r + 1.2K/(r-0.06)
13(r-0.06)=-1.2r
r=5.5 cm

There is another point where the electric potential is zero. I have tried r+0.06 and moving the (r-0.06) to the other side of the equation, but I haven't found a correct second point. How do I find the second point? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi smoics :smile:

attachment.php?attachmentid=33430&stc=1&d=1300901298.png

Obviously the point with V=0 will be be near 1.2 nC charge

SO let the points be A and B
now just write the eqn for the two points and find xA and xB

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    919 bytes · Views: 6,573
Last edited:
I don't understand why you're putting point A where it is. Am I going to have 2 variables in one equation? Or are you using 2 equations?

smoics said:
I don't understand why you're putting point A where it is. Am I going to have 2 variables in one equation? Or are you using 2 equations?

These are two different cases not 2 eqn's

Remember that electric potential is scalar and thus can also be zero betw. the charges

Edit: if you are talking about why i drew A closer to 13nC then its just my carelessness :-p

smoics said:

Homework Statement

A 13.0 nC charge is at x= 0 cm and a -1.2 nC charge is at 6 cm.

Homework Equations

V=kq/r

The Attempt at a Solution

0=13K/r + 1.2K/(r-0.06)
13(r-0.06)=-1.2r
r=5.5 cm

There is another point where the electric potential is zero. I have tried r+0.06 and moving the (r-0.06) to the other side of the equation, but I haven't found a correct second point. How do I find the second point? Thanks!

The equation: [tex]0 = k\,\frac{13}{r}\,+\,k\,\frac{1.2}{r-0.06}[/tex]

is equivalent to: [tex]0 = k\,\frac{13}{r}\,+\,k\,\frac{-1.2}{0.06-r}[/tex]

This gives a result which is valid only between the two charges.

If a charge of 13 nC is at x = 0, and a charge of -1.2 nC is at x = 0.06 m, then the electric potential at x on the x-axis is given by:

[tex]V(x)=k\,\frac{13nC}{|x|}+k\,\frac{-1.2nC}{|0.06-x|}[/tex]

Related to At what point or points on the x-axis is the electric potential zero?

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in space. It is measured in volts (V).

2. How is electric potential related to the x-axis?

The x-axis is often used to represent distance or position along a line. In the context of electric potential, the x-axis represents the distance or position from a reference point where the electric potential is defined as zero.

3. What does it mean for the electric potential to be zero on the x-axis?

When the electric potential is zero on the x-axis, it means that there is no potential difference between the reference point and the point on the x-axis. This can also be interpreted as there being no electric force acting on a charge placed at that point on the x-axis.

4. Is the electric potential always zero at a specific point on the x-axis?

No, the electric potential can vary at different points on the x-axis depending on the distribution of charges in the surrounding space. However, there may be certain points or regions where the electric potential is zero due to symmetry or other factors.

5. Can the electric potential be negative on the x-axis?

Yes, the electric potential can be negative at certain points on the x-axis if the reference point is chosen in a way that results in a negative potential. This typically occurs when there is a greater concentration of negative charges compared to positive charges in the surrounding space.