Asymptotic Power Series Behavior

In summary, there is a power series f(x) = \sum_1^\infty a_n x^n with coefficients that have a limiting ratio of 1/n, and it is desired to show that the magnitude of this series grows asymptotically as e^x. The difficulty lies in the fact that there are three limits involved, and it is hard to translate the claim into precise mathematical language. It is believed that any series with coefficients following this pattern will grow exponentially, but there is no clear way to prove it at this time.
upsidedowntop

Homework Statement

Suppose [tex]f(x) = \sum_1^\infty a_n x^n [/tex] is a power series such that [tex] \lim a_{n+1}/a_n \to 1/n [/tex]. Show that the magnitude of f(x) grows asymptotically as [tex] e^x [/tex].

This is not a homework question. But, if I know why it is true (or if it is), then I can use it to answer a quantum mechanics question.

The Attempt at a Solution

If the coefficients were actually in ratios of 1/n, as opposed to limiting to that ratio, then after factoring out the first coefficient, you would be left with the power series for [tex] e^x [/tex].

Or, one can easily show that f(x) grows faster than any polynomial, but that doesn't quite get us there either.

f(x) has infinite radius of convergence, so it converges uniformly everywhere.

The difficulty is that there are three limits. You want the limit of the coefficients to determine the limit of the function which is the limit of the series of those coefficients.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Clarification
----------------------------
By [tex] \lim a_{n+1}/a_n \to 1/n [/tex], I meant [tex] a_{n+1}/a_n [/tex] grows theta of [tex] 1/n [/tex].
I'm trying to translate my physics notes into something mathematical. There, it just says, "for large n [tex] a_{n+1}/a_n [/tex] goes like [tex] 1/n [/tex], which is the same as the Taylor series for [tex] e^x [/tex], so the power series of [tex] a_n [/tex] has the same asymptotics as [tex] e^x [/tex]."
I feel like there's some analysis which validates this claim, but it's hard to translate into precise language.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
upsidedowntop said:

Homework Statement

Suppose [tex]f(x) = \sum_1^\infty a_n x^n [/tex] is a power series such that [tex] \lim a_{n+1}/a_n \to 1/n [/tex]. Show that the magnitude of f(x) grows asymptotically as [tex] e^x [/tex].

it is not clear what you mean by [itex] \lim a_{n+1}/a_n \to 1/n [/itex]. if it is the limit as n approaches infinity (or as n approaches anything), then the result cannot have n in the expression. if the ratio [itex]a_{n+1}/a_n[/itex] is always of the order [itex]1/n[/itex] then that shows the radius of convergence is infinite. however, i am not sure what it says about the growth of the power series. certainly the coefficients for [itex]e^x[/itex] have this pattern, so I think the idea that any series with this pattern will grow exponentially is probably correct. However, I don't really have an idea as to how to show that.

cheers.

Related to Asymptotic Power Series Behavior

1. What is the definition of asymptotic power series behavior?

Asymptotic power series behavior refers to the behavior of a mathematical series as the number of terms increases towards infinity. It describes the relationship between the terms of a series and the rate at which they approach a limit.

2. How is asymptotic power series behavior related to the concept of convergence?

Asymptotic power series behavior is closely related to the concept of convergence, as it describes the behavior of a series as it approaches a limit. In other words, the convergence of a series is determined by its asymptotic power series behavior.

3. What is the significance of the rate of convergence in asymptotic power series behavior?

The rate of convergence in asymptotic power series behavior is important because it determines how quickly a series approaches its limit. A series with a faster rate of convergence will reach its limit in fewer terms, while a series with a slower rate of convergence will take more terms to reach its limit.

4. How is the Big O notation used in describing asymptotic power series behavior?

The Big O notation is commonly used in describing the asymptotic power series behavior of a mathematical series. It represents the upper bound of the rate of growth of a function, and is often used to compare the growth rates of different series.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding asymptotic power series behavior?

Understanding asymptotic power series behavior has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. It can be used to model and predict the behavior of complex systems, such as the growth of a population or the decay of radioactive materials. It is also essential in the development of numerical methods for solving mathematical problems.