[Astrophysics] Star luminosity-radius-temperature problem

In summary, the conversation is about estimating the ratio of the maximum and minimum radius of a Cepheid based on its light variation and effective temperature at maximum and minimum luminosity. The homework statement provides the necessary equations and the solution is solved using both methods, with the individual finding the error in their initial calculation and realizing the importance of using the magnitude scale in the calculation.
Andrev
Hi!

Homework Statement

The light variation of a Cepheid is 2 mag,if its effective temperature at maximum luminosity is
6000K, while at minimum is 5000K, please estimate the ratio of its maximum and minimum
radius.

Homework Equations

$$\Delta m=-2,5lg\frac{L_{min}}{L_{max}}$$
$$lg\frac{L_{min}}{L_{max}}=2lg\frac{R_{min}}{R_{max}}+4lg\frac{L_{min}}{L_{max}}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, actually I should solve the problem with those two formulas above. My question is: why I can not just calculate the $$\frac{L_{min}}{L_{max}}$$ and solve the $$\frac{L_{min}}{L_{max}}=\frac{4\pi R_{min}^2 \cdot T_{min}^4\cdot \sigma}{4\pi R_{max}^2 \cdot T_{max}^4\cdot \sigma}$$ equation? Why I have to calculate with the lgs? As I studied the problem it looked for me that these two methods are equal but I got different results.

Thanks in advance,

Andrev

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry for spamming the forum with this I solved it on my own:

Of course I can calculate with the form without lgs too. I missed the calculation at the beginning: I forgot that the magnitude scale is inverse, so $$-0.4\cdot (m_1-m_2)=-0.4 \cdot \Delta m <0$$ It is ok now. Andrev

Last edited:

Related to [Astrophysics] Star luminosity-radius-temperature problem

1. What is the star luminosity-radius-temperature problem?

The star luminosity-radius-temperature problem is a fundamental issue in astrophysics that arises when trying to accurately determine a star's luminosity, radius, and temperature based on observational data. In theory, these three parameters should be directly related, but in reality, there are discrepancies that make it difficult to accurately estimate them.

2. Why is the star luminosity-radius-temperature problem important?

Understanding the properties of stars, such as their luminosity, radius, and temperature, is crucial in many areas of astrophysics. These parameters can provide valuable information about a star's age, evolution, and composition. Furthermore, accurately determining these properties is essential for a variety of research, including exoplanet studies and cosmology.

3. What are the possible causes of the star luminosity-radius-temperature problem?

There are several potential causes for the discrepancies between a star's luminosity, radius, and temperature. One possible explanation is the presence of dust and gas around the star, which can absorb and re-emit radiation, making it difficult to measure the star's true luminosity. Another factor could be the presence of magnetic fields, which can affect the star's spectral lines and make temperature measurements less accurate.

4. How do scientists try to solve the star luminosity-radius-temperature problem?

There are various approaches that scientists use to try and reconcile the discrepancies between a star's luminosity, radius, and temperature. One method is to incorporate additional data, such as the star's chemical composition, into calculations. Another approach is to use advanced models and simulations, which can account for factors like stellar winds and magnetic fields. Additionally, new technologies and instruments, such as interferometers and telescopes, are constantly being developed to improve our understanding of stars.

5. Can the star luminosity-radius-temperature problem ever be fully resolved?

It is unlikely that the star luminosity-radius-temperature problem will ever be completely solved. As our understanding of stars and the universe continues to evolve, new factors and complexities may arise that make it challenging to accurately determine a star's properties. However, with advancements in technology and research, scientists are making significant progress in understanding and mitigating the discrepancies between a star's luminosity, radius, and temperature.