Astronomy derivation, leading to question about oscillations

In summary, the problem involves finding the expression for z and w as functions of time, given the gravitational acceleration of the sun and the total mass density of the galaxy. The initial attempt at solving the differential equation resulted in an incorrect solution, and further hints or guidance are needed to progress with the problem.
acdurbin953

Homework Statement

The sun experiences a vertical gravitation acceleration of g=-4πGρz, where ρ is the density of the disk of our Galaxy.
a) Assuming that d2z/dt2=-kz, express k in terms of ρ and G.
b) Find the general expression for z and w=dz/dt as a function of time.
c) If the total mass density is 0.15 Msolar pc-3, what is the oscillation period?

Homework Equations

Simple harmonic motion equations
Method of solving 2nd order diff eqns

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so I'm fairly lost with this problem. My initial reaction was to solve d2z/dt2=-kz, so I moved over -kz term, set it all equal to zero and got z=c1e√(k)t+c2e-√(k)t.

This doesn't at all seem right to me.
#1 I have no idea how to get k in terms of ρ and z.
#2 Wishful thinking has me hoping that my solution should resemble some type of simple harmonic motion equation, which my eqn does not look like.

Not sure how to progress with this. Any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
solve d2z/dt2=-kz, so I moved over -kz term, set it all equal to zero and got z=c1e√(k)t+c2e-√(k)t.
That's strange: this z doesn't satisfy the differential equation ! Try it !

Related to Astronomy derivation, leading to question about oscillations

What is the significance of oscillations in astronomy?

Oscillations in astronomy refer to the repetitive back-and-forth motion of celestial bodies or structures in space. They can provide valuable insights into the physical properties and behavior of these objects, such as their mass, density, and composition.

How are oscillations observed in the universe?

Oscillations in the universe can be observed through various methods, including spectroscopy, which measures the Doppler shifts in the light emitted from oscillating objects, and photometry, which measures the changes in brightness over time.

What are some examples of astronomical objects that exhibit oscillations?

Some examples of astronomical objects that exhibit oscillations include stars, planets, galaxies, and even the entire universe itself. These oscillations can occur on a wide range of time scales, from fractions of a second to billions of years.

How do oscillations help us understand the evolution of the universe?

By studying the patterns and frequencies of oscillations in different astronomical objects, scientists can gain insights into the evolution and history of the universe. For example, the oscillations of the cosmic microwave background can tell us about the early stages of the universe's expansion.

What are the potential applications of studying oscillations in astronomy?

Studying oscillations in astronomy can help us better understand the physical processes and dynamics of celestial objects, which can have practical applications in fields such as space exploration, planetary science, and astrophysics research. It can also contribute to our overall understanding of the universe and its origins.