Astronomy - Correct solution? Part 2

• Thread starter tosv
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Astronomy
In summary: Your Name]In summary, the forum member has shared their solution for calculating the distance a satellite will reach before its surface temperature exceeds 100 degrees Celsius when approaching the Sun. While their approach and calculations are generally correct, there are a few minor errors that have been pointed out. The correct calculations should use the radius of the satellite and its temperature instead of the Sun's. The final answer is approximately 1.1 AU.
tosv

Homework Statement

I have made a solution to an exercise and I need some to check it and please notify me if I have made any misstakes.

Exercise
A satellite that is a black body, spherical and rotates around its own axis is send towards the Sun. How far will the satellite reach before its surface temperatur will be higher then 100 degrees Celsius?

The Attempt at a Solution

The radiation flux density at the surface of the Sun will be
[tex]F_{\odot}[/tex]

At the distance d from the Sun the radiation flux density of the satellite will be
[tex]F_{I}=F_{\odot}\left(\frac{R_{\odot}}{d}\right)^{2}[/tex]
where [tex]R_{\odot}[/tex] is the radius of the Sun

According to Stefan-Boltzmann law, we have
[tex]F=\sigma T^{4}[/tex]

We will then find
[tex]T_{I} = T_{\odot}\sqrt{\frac{R_{\odot}}{d}}[/tex]

The distance d can now be expressed as
[tex]d=R_{\odot}\left(\frac{T_{\odot}}{T_{I}}\right)^{2}[/tex]

I use the following numerical values:
[tex]R_{\odot} = 6.955\cdot10^{8}m[/tex]
[tex]T_{\odot} = 5800\, K[/tex]
[tex]T_{I} = 373\, K[/tex]

Then I found the distance to be
[tex]d\approx1.68\cdot10^{11}m\approx1.1\, A.U.[/tex]

Can this be a reasonable answer?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your solution with us. Overall, your approach seems to be correct and your calculations appear to be accurate. However, there are a few minor errors that I would like to point out. Firstly, in your calculation for the radiation flux density of the satellite (F_I), you have used the radius of the Sun (R_0) instead of the radius of the satellite (R). This will result in a slightly incorrect value for F_I. Secondly, in your calculation for the distance (d), you have used the temperature of the Sun (T_0) instead of the temperature of the satellite (T). This will also result in a slightly incorrect value for d.

The correct calculations should be as follows:

F_I = F_0 * (R/R_0)^2

T_I = T * sqrt(R/R_0)

d = R_0 * (T/T_I)^2

Using the values you have provided, the correct distance should be approximately 1.68 x 10^11 meters, which is equivalent to 1.1 astronomical units (AU). So your final answer is indeed reasonable.

I hope this helps and thank you for your contribution to the forum.

Related to Astronomy - Correct solution? Part 2

1. What is the correct way to calculate the distance between two celestial objects?

The correct way to calculate the distance between two celestial objects is by using the parallax method. This involves measuring the apparent shift in position of the objects from two different points on Earth's orbit around the Sun.

2. How do scientists determine the chemical composition of stars?

Scientists determine the chemical composition of stars by analyzing the light emitted from them. Each element in a star produces a unique set of spectral lines, which can be used to identify the elements present in the star.

3. Can we see the surface of other planets in our solar system with a telescope?

Yes, we can see the surface of other planets in our solar system with a telescope. However, the level of detail we can see depends on the size and distance of the planet from Earth, as well as the quality and power of the telescope.

4. Why is it important to study the history and evolution of the universe?

Studying the history and evolution of the universe helps us understand the origins of our own solar system and Earth. It also provides insights into the formation and development of galaxies, stars, and planets, and can help us predict future events in the universe.

5. How do astronomers measure the age of the universe?

Astronomers measure the age of the universe by using different techniques such as observing the expansion rate of the universe, studying the cosmic microwave background radiation, and analyzing the chemical composition of stars and galaxies. These methods help us estimate the age of the universe to be around 13.8 billion years old.