How can I convert the units of B to match the Kennicutt Schimdt law?

• Thread starter matteo86bo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Units
In summary, the Kennicutt Schimdt law can be approximated as:\frac{d\Sigma_*}{dt}=A\Sigma_{gas}^{1.5}where A is the efficiency and its values is roughly 2.5e-4 when \frac{d\Sigma_*}{dt} is measured in M_\odot kpc^{-2} yr^{-1} and \Sigma_{gas} in M_\odot pc^{-2}.To derive the efficiency of the KS law starting from this formula, we need to compute B and then convert it in the same units of the Kennicutt Sch
matteo86bo

Homework Statement

I need to infer the observed star formation efficiency of the Kennicutt Schimdt law starting from a volumetric SF law.
The KS law is a relationship between gas and stellar surface density that we can approximate as:

[itex]\frac{d\Sigma_*}{dt}=A\Sigma_{gas}^{1.5}[/itex]

Where [itex]A[/itex] is the efficiency and its values is roughly 2.5e-4 when [itex]\frac{d\Sigma_*}{dt}[/itex] is measured in [itex]M_\odot kpc^{-2} yr^{-1}[/itex] and [itex]\Sigma_{gas}[/itex] in [itex] M_\odot pc^{-2}[/itex].

Now the problem is I want to derive this efficiency starting from this formula

[itex]\frac{d\rho_*}{dt}=B\frac{\rho_{gas}}{t_{ff}}[/itex]
where [itex] {t_{ff}}[/itex] is the free-falling time and is equal to
[itex] {t_{ff}}=\sqrt{\frac{3}{32\pi G \rho_{gas}}}[/itex]

I need to compute B and then convert it in the same units of the Kennicutt Schimdt law.

2. The attempt at a solution

Since the Kennicutt law involes surface density I have multiplied both sides of the volumetric equation by a characteristic scale length [itex]\Delta x[/itex].

Therefore B should be equal to:

[itex]\sqrt{\frac{32\pi G}{3}} \Delta x[/itex]

The things is I had to convert this number from cgs units to the units in which the Kennicutt law is given but I don't get the same order of magnitude. Can you help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
I gave this a shot, but it turns out I'm less able than you are at solving this. I would re-post this question in the Advanced forum if no one else here helps you soon.

Let's see if the units are making sense first:

For [itex]\frac{d\rho_*}{dt}=B\frac{\rho_{gas}}{t_{ff}}[/itex] ,

we have [itex]M_\odot pc^{-3} yr^{-1}[/itex] on the left and

B times [itex]M_\odot pc^{-3}[/itex] divided by years on the right , so B should be dimensionless, no? (I'm taking it that the rho's are volume densities.)

So I don't think [itex]B = \sqrt{\frac{32\pi G}{3}} \Delta x[/itex] can be right.(And A has units of [itex] \frac{pc }{ M_\odot^{1/2}\cdot yr} [/itex] ,yes? )

Last edited:

Related to How can I convert the units of B to match the Kennicutt Schimdt law?

1. How do I convert between units of measurement?

To convert between units of measurement, you need to use a conversion factor. This is a numerical factor that relates the two units of measurement. Multiply your starting value by the conversion factor to get the equivalent value in the desired unit.

2. What are some common conversion factors for difficult units?

Some common conversion factors for difficult units include:- 1 inch = 2.54 centimeters- 1 mile = 1.609 kilometers- 1 pound = 0.453 kilograms- 1 liter = 1000 milliliters- 1 gallon = 3.785 liters

3. How do I convert between different systems of measurement?

To convert between different systems of measurement, you will need to use multiple conversion factors. Start by converting your starting value to a base unit, such as meters for length or grams for mass. Then, use the appropriate conversion factors to convert to the desired unit in the other system of measurement.

4. What is the best way to remember common conversion factors?

A helpful tip for remembering common conversion factors is to create a conversion chart or cheat sheet and keep it easily accessible. You can also use mnemonic devices or practice using the conversion factors in real-world scenarios to help commit them to memory.

5. What should I do if I encounter a difficult or uncommon unit of measurement?

If you encounter a difficult or uncommon unit of measurement, you can try using online unit converters or searching for conversion factors online. If you are unable to find a conversion factor, you can also reach out to other professionals in your field for assistance or consult scientific literature for conversion information.