Astro-Physics: Math Struggles & Domains of Functions

In summary, the speaker is struggling with their math classes while majoring in astrophysics. They question the importance of learning domains and functions in relation to astrophysics. However, the other speaker explains that math is necessary for understanding the physical world and that more complex mathematical concepts will be needed in the future. They also mention that learning the basics of calculus will make the connection between math and physics more clear.
DeepSpace9
While my math struggles continue. I find my self asking if this is the right major I want to chose (astrophysics) I'm in precalculus college level lol.. We are doing domains of comp functions.. and I find it all pointless.. I am very good at algebra and trig...

Is this fog (x) stuff really used much when it comes to physics?

I love astronomy witch got me into physics.. I want to research and learn about the universe and space.. Not domains of functions.. Are domains even needed realistically when it comes to astrophysics? Maybe some mathematicians can help me out. When I look at formulas and equations like gravity, gen relativity. They seem so simple e=mc^2 etc.. And all the formulas look like sqrt over a fraction etc.. Simple stuff, so why do I need to learn domains and functions. ?

Physics news on Phys.org
The language of physics is mathematics, so if you intend to major in astrophysics, you will need to take a lot a math classes along the way. Mathematical equations and functions are used to model physical phenomena of all kinds.

What you're doing right now is learning the basics of mathematics, similar to what you would be doing to learn how to play an instrument or to become proficient in some athletic endeavor. To become a good musician or good athlete you have to put in many hours at the basic skills.

DeepSpace9 said:
While my math struggles continue. I find my self asking if this is the right major I want to chose (astrophysics) I'm in precalculus college level lol.. We are doing domains of comp functions.. and I find it all pointless.. I am very good at algebra and trig...

Is this fog (x) stuff really used much when it comes to physics?

I love astronomy witch got me into physics.. I want to research and learn about the universe and space.. Not domains of functions.. Are domains even needed realistically when it comes to astrophysics? Maybe some mathematicians can help me out. When I look at formulas and equations like gravity, gen relativity. They seem so simple e=mc^2 etc.. And all the formulas look like sqrt over a fraction etc.. Simple stuff, so why do I need to learn domains and functions. ?

It's common misconception that relativity is all about basic formulas like E=mc^2 and things like that. In fact the functions that you are learning right now are way too simple to be useful for any real world problem. When you progress you will have to do much more complicated stuff with functions and even deal with functions of n variables. You will have to understand abstract objects like tensors and such.

You really have to understand that math is very important for physics. You need to find some motivation that will show you how useful it is in realiy. The universe is very hard thing to understand. The only known way to try to understand it is mathematics.

I think that when you start learning the basics of the real calculus like limits, derivatives and integrals and start to solve basic physics problems about moving objects you will see that all this stuff feels very natural.

Related to Astro-Physics: Math Struggles & Domains of Functions

1. What is astro-physics and its relation to math?

Astro-physics is a branch of science that combines the study of astronomy and physics to understand the physical properties and behavior of celestial objects and phenomena in the universe. Math plays a crucial role in astro-physics as it provides the necessary tools and techniques to make accurate calculations and predictions about the universe.

2. What are some common struggles when using math in astro-physics?

One of the main struggles is dealing with large numbers and distances in the universe, which can be difficult to conceptualize and manipulate mathematically. Another struggle is the complexity of equations and models used in astro-physics, which require a strong understanding of advanced math concepts.

3. What are the different domains of functions used in astro-physics?

Some common domains of functions used in astro-physics include logarithmic, exponential, trigonometric, and polynomial functions. These functions are used to describe and model various phenomena in the universe, such as the movement of celestial objects and the distribution of matter.

4. How is calculus used in astro-physics?

Calculus is a fundamental tool in astro-physics as it helps in understanding the behavior of objects and phenomena in the universe. It is used to calculate rates of change, optimize models, and solve complex equations that describe the motion and properties of celestial bodies.

5. What are some real-world applications of astro-physics and math?

Astro-physics and math have numerous real-world applications, such as predicting the movement of planets and stars, understanding the formation and evolution of galaxies, and studying the effects of gravity and other forces in the universe. These applications have also led to advancements in technology, such as satellite communication and navigation systems.