Asterisk period (*.) - its typography

• Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
In summary, the forums editor displays the sequence of characters asterisk period with the asterisk above the period instead of before it, which is a standard typographical convention. This may appear differently depending on the font and character spacing. The design of the font is responsible for this placement and it is not specific to any computer or operating system. Some users have suggested using a different font or special characters to achieve a different look.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
The forums editor (on my computer) displays the sequence of characters:
asterisk period
with the asterisk above the period instead of before it. Is this a standard typographical convention? - or something peculiar to the settings on my machine?

For example, to denote the Quicktime file format as ##*\ .MOV## instead of *.MOV , I'd prefer to type an asterisk and then a period and then MOV.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you add a screenshot? I see this both in the editor and your post:

0DA2A50C-6EA1-43BD-99B3-8F72C6F478B2.jpeg

Attachments

• 0DA2A50C-6EA1-43BD-99B3-8F72C6F478B2.jpeg
    0DA2A50C-6EA1-43BD-99B3-8F72C6F478B2.jpeg
    14.1 KB · Views: 546
Stephen Tashi said:
For example, to denote the Quicktime file format as ∗ .MOV instead of *.MOV
I don't see the asterisk as being above the period in the second example. Character spacing varies in many fonts, so that some character pairs appear closer together. I believe this is called kerning.

Likes davenn
asteriskPeriod.JPG

I should have titled my thread "asterisk period" instead of "period asterisk" On my machine (Firefox, Fedora Linux) the "*" is shown at higher level than characters such as "+".

Attachments

• asteriskPeriod.JPG
    asteriskPeriod.JPG
    3.5 KB · Views: 453
I can't tell if I successfully attached an image in the previous post. The editor's interface for attaching things is confusing. The icon "image" brings up a window asking for Image URL, but I get no option to browse the filesystem. So I used the "upload" button.

Stephen Tashi said:
On my machine (Firefox, Fedora Linux) the "*" is shown at higher level than characters such as "+".
I'm sure that's by design, for the same reason that 'p' appears lower than 'P', and '.' appears lower than '+'. I don't think it has anything to do with your computer, browser, or operating system, but rather, the design of the font.

Mark44 said:
I don't think it has anything to do with your computer, browser, or operating system, but rather, the design of the font.

Yes, it must be the design of the font - so, it does have something to with my browser being set to use the DejaVu Sans font.

You could specify a different font.

Default font: *.MOV

"Courier New" font: *.MOV
(using [font=Courier New]*.MOV[/font])

Stephen Tashi said:
I should have titled my thread "asterisk period" instead of "period asterisk"
Fixed. I also fixed it's --> its :wink:

Likes Stephen Tashi and dlgoff
There is also the LaTex _\ast "lowast" character. [itex]_\ast[/itex] instead of [itex]*[/itex].

Vanadium 50 said:
There is also the LaTex _\ast "lowast" character. [itex]_\ast[/itex] instead of [itex]*[/itex].
##\ast## -- That's the lowast asterisk I've ever seen. :oldbiggrin:

##{}^\ast## * ##\ast~_\ast## - choose your favorite.

mfb said:
##{}^\ast## * ##\ast~_\ast## - choose your favorite.

Unfortunately, I can't do a \big \ast asterik, but \huge works: ##{\huge {\ast} }##

Related to Asterisk period (*.) - its typography

1. What is the meaning of the asterisk period in typography?

The asterisk period, also known as the asterism or the triple-dot punctuation mark, is a typographical symbol typically used to indicate a break or omission in a text. It is commonly used to replace missing letters or words, or to separate different sections of a text.

2. How is the asterisk period different from the ellipsis?

While both the asterisk period and the ellipsis consist of three dots, the asterisk period has the dots arranged in a diagonal line (*.), while the ellipsis has the dots in a horizontal line (...). Additionally, the asterisk period is used to indicate a break in a text, while the ellipsis is used to indicate a pause or hesitation.

3. Can the asterisk period be used in the middle of a sentence?

Yes, the asterisk period can be used in the middle of a sentence to indicate a pause or break in thought. However, it is more commonly used at the end of a sentence or paragraph.

4. When should I use the asterisk period in my writing?

The asterisk period should be used sparingly and only when necessary. It is typically used in informal writing, such as creative writing or personal communication, and is not commonly used in formal writing.

5. Is the asterisk period used in other languages besides English?

Yes, the asterisk period is used in other languages, such as French, Spanish, and German. However, it may have different meanings or uses in these languages, so it is important to research the specific usage in the language you are writing in.