Aspiring to be a life long postdoc. Is that realistic?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of having a long-term career as a postdoc or non-tenure track faculty member. The speaker mentions being successful in securing funding and leading research projects, but expresses concerns about not being able to obtain top-quality publications or secure large grants. They also mention knowing others in similar positions, but wonder about the long-term prospects of this type of career. The main question is whether it is possible to stay in a postdoc-like role for over 15 years and if there are any non-tenure track faculty members who have done so. The conversation also touches on the possibility of transitioning to a tenure track position after 15 years.
Corpuscule
I like academic work, and I am fairly good at it, but not good enough to get on the tenure track. Postdoctoral salary for me is sufficient to comfortably support a family of four, and we don't mind moving from time to time, since my wife is not working. Is expecting to work as a postdoc for the entire life unrealistic? I know that some countries/universities only offer postdoctoral positions for up to 5 years after a PhD, but I have also heard that there are several other kinds of positions (i.e. research assistant, research associate, research scientist) that can be similar to a postdoc in everything but name. What is your opinion?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are non-tenure track faculty positions available. In these positions you are usually expected to write grant proposals and develop your own research projects.

Likes Corpuscule
leright said:
There are non-tenure track faculty positions available. In these positions you are usually expected to write grant proposals and develop your own research projects.
Thanks. I am currently employed as a non-tenure track faculty member (equivalent to postdoc, but with no strictly-defined end-date and with proper benefits). So far (1.5 years after a PhD) in addition to working on my supervisors' projects I have been successful in securing small-to-mid scale funding/co-funding (10k to 100k) and leading a couple of mid-level research projects (the last author). The problem is that I don't have a solid understanding on how to get top-quality publications, and I probably won't be very successful in securing big grants (so likely no tenure track for me).

I know a few people who have been in more-or-less the same boat for 5-15 years (sometimes being successful in securing grants, sometimes moving to other groups and working on somebody else's grants, some of them have an h-index above 30, some of them much smaller). However I know very few people like this, and none who could maintain such career for over 15 years.

What are the realistic options after being a postdoc-like researcher for over 15 years? Do you know any non-tenure track faculty members who could maintain their academic careers for the entire life? Is it possible to get on a tenure track 15 years after a PhD?

Last edited:

Related to Aspiring to be a life long postdoc. Is that realistic?

1. Can I become a life long postdoc?

Yes, it is possible to have a career as a life long postdoc. However, it is not a common or traditional career path in the scientific community. Most postdocs are temporary positions that serve as a stepping stone to a more permanent research or academic position.

2. What is the job outlook for life long postdocs?

The job outlook for life long postdocs is uncertain and varies greatly depending on the field of study and the individual's research interests. Some fields may have more opportunities for long-term postdocs, while others may not. It is important to research the job market and potential funding sources for your specific area of study.

3. Do I need to have a PhD to be a life long postdoc?

Not necessarily. While most postdocs do have a PhD, there are some cases where individuals with a master's degree or even a bachelor's degree may be hired as postdocs. However, having a higher degree can make you more competitive for postdoc positions and increase your chances of securing funding for your research.

4. What are the benefits of being a life long postdoc?

The benefits of being a life long postdoc vary, but some potential advantages include continued opportunities for research and publication, access to resources and facilities at research institutions, and the ability to work with and learn from experienced scientists. However, it is important to consider the potential drawbacks such as lower pay and limited career advancement opportunities.

5. What are the challenges of being a life long postdoc?

The challenges of being a life long postdoc include job instability, limited career advancement opportunities, and potential struggles with securing funding for research. Additionally, some may feel pressure to constantly produce results and publish in order to secure future funding and career opportunities.