Aspiring to be a Bio-medical engineer with a M.E background

• Thread starter tj00343
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineer
In summary, the conversation discusses the dilemma of a recent graduate with a B.S in Mechanical Engineering who has discovered an interest in Bio-medical Engineering. The person is unsure if they should pursue their M.S in M.E or switch to M.S in BME. The advice given is to speak with academic advisors and professors to determine the best path, as interdisciplinary work is possible regardless of nominal degree. It is emphasized that experience and publications in a biomech lab are more valuable than the title of the degree.
tj00343
Hey guys
I have recently finished my B.S in Mechanical Engineering and am about to enroll in my M.S in M.E . However , I have recently discovered Bio-medical Engineering and I'm pretty sure that is where I want to be .If I wish to finish my M.S in M.E (necessary to become a professional engineer) and try to get on the job experience in Bio-medical Engineering, at how much of a disadvantage am I from students from Bio-medical engineering backgrounds. Another option would be to go for an M.S in bio-medical engineering .I assume a Mechanical Engineering Bachelors would be lacking in electronics and biology . What option would you recommend .
Any advice would be helpful
Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
This question depends a lot on your specific background and circumstances, and I don't think anyone on here can really answer it very well to your satisfaction. You should talk to your academic advisors and specific professors whose work you are interested into see what they think. At my school there are many people in the ME department who are doing research in robotics, and specifically human automation, and also those who work in conjunction with the BME department. I started with a degree in ME and switched to Physics for grad school. In my lab there are people with EE and Chemistry degrees, so a lot of interdisciplinary work is possible regardless of nominal degree. The most important thing is not really your degree, but rather if you can find a group who wants to work with you. Don't be afraid to approach biomech professors and ask about openings. I'm sure that many would be willing to take you on with your ME degree. If you get good experience in a biomech lab and publish some papers, that is worth more than the title on your degree.

Related to Aspiring to be a Bio-medical engineer with a M.E background

1. What is a bio-medical engineer?

A bio-medical engineer is a professional who applies engineering principles and design concepts to healthcare and medicine. They work to develop medical devices, systems, and software that improve patient care and enhance the quality of life for individuals with medical conditions.

2. What qualifications do I need to become a bio-medical engineer?

To become a bio-medical engineer, you will typically need a bachelor's degree in engineering, preferably in a field related to bio-medical engineering. Some employers may also require a master's degree or a Ph.D. in bio-medical engineering. It is also recommended to have a strong background in biology, chemistry, and mathematics.

3. Can I become a bio-medical engineer with a background in mechanical engineering?

Yes, it is possible to become a bio-medical engineer with a mechanical engineering background. Many mechanical engineering principles and skills are transferable to bio-medical engineering, such as design, problem-solving, and materials knowledge. However, you may need to take additional courses or pursue a master's degree in bio-medical engineering to gain the necessary knowledge and skills.

4. What are the job prospects for bio-medical engineers?

The job prospects for bio-medical engineers are excellent, with a projected job growth of 7% from 2019 to 2029, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. This growth is due to the increasing demand for medical devices and technologies, as well as the aging population's need for medical care.

5. What skills are essential for a successful bio-medical engineer?

To be a successful bio-medical engineer, you should have strong analytical, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills. Attention to detail, creativity, and the ability to work in a team are also crucial. Additionally, you should have excellent communication and project management skills to collaborate with other professionals and bring your ideas to fruition.