Asking Questions During Office Hours - Prof or TA?

• Thread starter erok81
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is a 3rd year student who has never asked a professor for help outside of class and has never seen a professor's office. They are struggling with problems involving Taylor series and are unsure of who to ask for help, the TA or the professor. They are worried about embarrassing themselves in front of the professor and have no friends at the school yet. Other students suggest starting with the TA for help.
erok81
I am currently a 3rd year student that has made it this far without ever asking a professor for help outside of class during their office hours (thanks PF). In fact, I've never even seen a professor's office. I know that isn't a good thing. :redface:

I've come to a point where if I don't find this out, I am going to be screwed. I cannot to problems involving taylor series for the life of me. I learned in calc II where we were given a formula and had to solve them. This was pretty much pointless. Now I have all sorts of problems where I have to taylor expand things when certain variables reach certain values etc.

The class in question is a special relativity class/intro to quantum mechanics. So learning taylor series is something that should have been done a while ago.

Who is the better person to bother with this question; the TA or the prof? Since it is such a basic question that I should know, I'm not sure if I want to embarass myself in front of the prof asking my questions.

What do you think? Any advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on the school. I went to a smaller physics program, and the Profs (at least most of them) were always glad to meet students and help them out. I would ask other students from the school, and see how this professor responds to students.

If you have never seen a professor's office AND you don't know other students, then I got nothing. Flip a coin? :-p

You should go to see your professor. You'll need some reference letters in the future, and if you've never seen the inside of an office, there's likely no one in a position to write you a positive letter at the moment.

This is my first semester at this particular school. I transferred after two years at a community college. My physics I and II professor could probably write my a decent LOR. A couple of us would stay after class (it was a night class) and talk to him for 20-30 minutes about school and non school related stuff. I was thinking about asking him for a LOR before he forgets me.:-p

As for other students...no friends yet. So I only have the TA and the professor to choose from.

But I suppose you guys are right. I'll have to eventually start talking to professors so I might as well get it over with when I have an actual question I need serious help with.

Actually, I would start with the TA. That's his job, he's closer to just having learned the material, and he likely has more time to spend with you. Even if he can't help you, he can probably identify the area of misunderstanding so you'll be better prepared when you talk to the professor.

Related to Asking Questions During Office Hours - Prof or TA?

1. How can asking questions during office hours benefit me?

Asking questions during office hours can benefit you in several ways. It allows you to clarify any confusion or misunderstandings about the material, get personalized feedback on your work, and deepen your understanding of the subject. It also shows your professor or TA that you are actively engaged in the course and can potentially lead to better grades.

2. Is it better to ask questions during office hours or during class?

Both options have their benefits, but asking questions during office hours allows for a more one-on-one interaction with your professor or TA. This gives you the opportunity to ask more specific or in-depth questions without feeling rushed. Additionally, it allows your classmates to focus on the lecture material without interruptions.

3. What is the best way to prepare for asking questions during office hours?

Before attending office hours, it is important to review your notes and any materials relevant to the topic you have questions about. This will help you to ask more specific and meaningful questions. It may also be helpful to write down your questions beforehand to ensure you don't forget anything during your meeting.

4. Are there any questions that should not be asked during office hours?

While there are no specific questions that should not be asked during office hours, it is important to keep in mind that your professor or TA's time is valuable. Try to avoid asking questions that can easily be answered by reviewing the syllabus or course materials. It is also important to be respectful and avoid asking overly personal or irrelevant questions.

5. Can I ask questions during office hours even if I am not struggling in the course?

Absolutely! Office hours are meant for all students, regardless of their academic standing. Even if you are not struggling, asking questions can still benefit you by deepening your understanding of the material and helping you to excel in the course. It also allows you to build a relationship with your professor or TA, which can be beneficial for future opportunities such as research or letters of recommendation.