Asking about lattice translation as a discrete symmetry

In summary, I suggest looking into resources such as "Introduction to Solid State Physics" by Charles Kittel, "Solid State Physics" by N. W. Ashcroft and N. D. Mermin, and research papers to learn more about studying excited states in the context of lattice translation. Best of luck in your studies.
Tomtam
I've read Modern Quantum Mechanics J.J. Sakurai 2nd Edition. In topic about lattice translation as a discrete sysmmetry(page 287) , they discuss only in case of ground state. If I want to study more in case of including excited states, where can I find this information? thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

I am glad to hear that you have read Modern Quantum Mechanics by J.J. Sakurai. The topic of lattice translation as a discrete symmetry is indeed an important one in quantum mechanics.

To answer your question about studying excited states in the context of lattice translation, I would suggest looking into other books and research papers on the subject. Some recommended resources are:

1. "Introduction to Solid State Physics" by Charles Kittel - This book covers the basics of solid state physics, including lattice translation and excited states.

2. "Solid State Physics" by N. W. Ashcroft and N. D. Mermin - This is another good resource for understanding solid state physics, including lattice translation and excited states.

3. Research papers on the topic - A quick search on Google Scholar or other academic databases can help you find relevant research papers on lattice translation and excited states.

I hope these suggestions help you in your further studies on this topic. Best of luck!

Related to Asking about lattice translation as a discrete symmetry

What is lattice translation as a discrete symmetry?

Lattice translation is a type of symmetry found in crystal structures, where the arrangement of atoms or molecules in a crystal repeats itself periodically in space. Discrete symmetry refers to the fact that the translation occurs in discrete, quantized steps rather than continuously.

How does lattice translation affect the properties of crystals?

Lattice translation can affect the properties of crystals in several ways. It can determine the crystal's overall shape and size, as well as its mechanical, thermal, and electrical properties. Lattice translation also plays a role in determining the crystal's optical properties, such as its ability to transmit or reflect light.

What are the different types of lattice translation?

There are three main types of lattice translation: translational symmetry, rotational symmetry, and inversion symmetry. Translational symmetry involves a simple translation of the crystal lattice in one direction, while rotational symmetry involves rotating the lattice around a fixed point. Inversion symmetry involves reflecting the lattice across a plane.

How does lattice translation relate to other types of symmetry?

Lattice translation is closely related to other types of symmetry, such as point group symmetry and space group symmetry. Point group symmetry refers to the symmetry of individual points within the crystal lattice, while space group symmetry refers to the symmetry of the overall crystal structure as a whole. Lattice translation is a fundamental aspect of both of these types of symmetry.

What are some practical applications of understanding lattice translation as a discrete symmetry?

Understanding lattice translation as a discrete symmetry is crucial for various fields, such as crystallography, materials science, and nanotechnology. It allows scientists to predict and control the properties of crystals and to design new materials with specific properties. Additionally, it plays a role in the development of technologies such as semiconductors, lasers, and photonic devices.