[ASK]What IC can display A-F to 7-segment LED

• Thread starter ajmosca25
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ic Led
In summary, the conversation is about creating a BCD 4bits Full adder and connecting it to a 7447 BCD to 7-segment display. The speaker needs help with their circuit as they only need a 3bits-3bits addition and want to display letters A-F instead of the default light up of the 7447. They are considering using an MC14495 IC to convert 10-15 to A-F in the 7-segment display.
ajmosca25
guys, you just created a circuit a BCD 4bits Full adder but in my case i just need a 3bits-3bits addition so that i set the A4 to 0 by default...

i used 7483 for 4bits full adder and connect it to a 7447 BCD to 7-segment

A4A3A2A1 + B43B2B1

A4 & B4 are set to 0

so 7 is the maximum value in one input..

my problem is when A+B = greater 9...i need to display a real letter A-F not the default light up of 7447

ex.

101(5) + 101(5) = A (bit letter A)
110(6) + 101(5) = b (small letter b)
111(7) + 101(5) = C (big letter C)
110(6) + 111(7) = d (small letter d)
111(7) + 111(7) = E (small letter E)

but in default in 7447

111(7) + 111(7) = inverted big letter F...

is there an IC which can convert 10-15 to A-F in 7segment led?

or just another IC which can configure 7447?

~help me please

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
ajmosca25 said:
guys, you just created a circuit a BCD 4bits Full adder but in my case i just need a 3bits-3bits addition so that i set the A4 to 0 by default...

i used 7483 for 4bits full adder and connect it to a 7447 BCD to 7-segment

A4A3A2A1 + B43B2B1

A4 & B4 are set to 0

so 7 is the maximum value in one input..

my problem is when A+B = greater 9...i need to display a real letter A-F not the default light up of 7447

ex.

101(5) + 101(5) = A (bit letter A)
110(6) + 101(5) = b (small letter b)
111(7) + 101(5) = C (big letter C)
110(6) + 111(7) = d (small letter d)
111(7) + 111(7) = E (small letter E)

but in default in 7447

111(7) + 111(7) = inverted big letter F...

is there an IC which can convert 10-15 to A-F in 7segment led?

or just another IC which can configure 7447?

~help me please

Welcome to the PF.

Instead of "BCD to 7-segment display driver", try Googling Hex to 7-segment display driver...

ok, i see an IC, but I am not sure if it is the IC i need...

MC14495...

im studying its datasheet right now, thanks btw...

~yes i am new here in PF, thanks for welcoming...Overwhelming...^_^

Related to [ASK]What IC can display A-F to 7-segment LED

1. What is a 7-segment LED display?

A 7-segment LED display is a type of electronic display device that utilizes seven individual segments to form numbers and some letters. Each segment is composed of an LED (light-emitting diode) and can be turned on or off to create different characters.

2. What is the purpose of displaying A-F on a 7-segment LED?

A 7-segment LED can display A-F in addition to numbers to represent hexadecimal digits. This is commonly used in electronic devices to display error codes or memory addresses in hexadecimal format.

3. What is an IC?

An IC (integrated circuit) is a small electronic chip that contains multiple components, such as transistors, resistors, and capacitors, all etched onto a tiny piece of semiconductor material. ICs are used in electronic devices to perform various functions, such as amplification, switching, and logic operations.

4. How does an IC display information on a 7-segment LED?

An IC designed for 7-segment LED display contains a decoder and driver circuit that takes in a binary input and converts it into signals to turn on or off the appropriate LED segments to display the desired character. The IC also includes a clock to synchronize the display refresh rate.

5. Are there different types of ICs for 7-segment LED display?

Yes, there are various types of ICs for 7-segment LED display, such as BCD-to-7-segment decoders, hex-to-7-segment decoders, and multiplexed 7-segment display drivers. The type of IC needed depends on the application and the number of digits to be displayed.