(ASK) Implicit Differentiation

This will help me a lot.In summary, the derivative of ##\frac{x}{y^2}## can be found using the quotient rule, which yields the expression ##\frac{y^2-2xy(\frac{dy}{dx})}{y^4}##. However, it is easier to differentiate if the ##y## is cancelled first, resulting in the expression ##\frac{1-2xy' }{y^3}##.
askor
What is ##\frac{d}{dx}(\frac{x}{y^2})##?

Please tell me is it correct or not:

##\frac{d}{dx}(\frac{x}{y^2}) = \frac{[\frac{d}{dx}(x)] ⋅ (y^2) - (x) ⋅ [\frac{d}{dx} (y^2)]}{(y^2)^2}##
## = \frac{(x) ⋅ (y^2) - (x) ⋅ (\frac{d}{dy} (y^2)) ⋅ \frac{dy}{dx}}{y^4}##
##= \frac{xy^2 - (x)(2y)(\frac{dy}{dx})}{y^4}##
##= \frac{xy^2 - 2xy(\frac{dy}{dx})}{y^4}##

Physics news on Phys.org
askor said:
What is ##\frac{d}{dx}(\frac{x}{y^2})##?

Please tell me is it correct or not:

##\frac{d}{dx}(\frac{x}{y^2}) = \frac{[\frac{d}{dx}(x)] ⋅ (y^2) - (x) ⋅ [\frac{d}{dx} (y^2)]}{(y^2)^2}##
## = \frac{(x) ⋅ (y^2) - (x) ⋅ (\frac{d}{dy} (y^2)) ⋅ \frac{dy}{dx}}{y^4}##
##= \frac{xy^2 - (x)(2y)(\frac{dy}{dx})}{y^4}##
##= \frac{xy^2 - 2xy(\frac{dy}{dx})}{y^4}##
Do you know what ##\frac{d}{dx}x## is? And isn't there another ##y## that could be canceled?

Likes Mastermind01
I think you made a typo - what is ## \frac{d}{dx}(x) ## ?

P.S - fresh_42 posted at the time I was typing. Yes a y can be cancelled.

Mastermind01 said:
I think you made a typo - what is ## \frac{d}{dx}(x) ## ?

P.S - fresh_42 posted at the time I was typing. Yes a y can be cancelled.

Yes, sorry, I've made a typo:

##= \frac{(1) ⋅ (y^2) - (x) ⋅ (\frac{d}{dy} (y^2)) ⋅ \frac{dy}{dx}}{y^4}##
##= \frac{y^2 - (x)(2y)(\frac{dy}{dx})}{y^4}##
##= \frac{y^2 - 2xy(\frac{dy}{dx})}{y^4}##

What y could be cancelled?

askor said:
What y could be cancelled?
You differentiated something with ##y^{-2}## which would give you something with ##y^{-3}## but your result is something with ##y^{-4}##.

fresh_42 said:
You differentiated something with ##y^{-2}## which would give you something with ##y^{-3}## but your result is something with ##y^{-4}##.

Do you mean the ##y^4## in the denominator?

What's wrong with that?

Isn't I am already correct?

The quotient rule is ##\frac{u'v - uv'}{v^2}## where ##v = y^2##, am I right?

askor said:
What's wrong with that?
Nothing. If you like, you may even write ##y^{100}##. Just said it's not the usual way. And you don't have to shout here.

fresh_42 said:
Nothing. If you like, you may even write ##y^{100}##. Just said it's not the usual way. And you don't have to shout here.

I am not shouting. So, what do you mean with another ##y## that could be cancelled?

Please explain, I don't understand.

You have a common factor ##y## in each summand of the nominator and four of them in the denominator.
Or if you like to proceed with formulas: ##ab+ac=a(b+c)## and ##\frac{y(y-2xy')}{y^4}=\frac{y-2xy'}{y^3}##.

fresh_42 said:
You have a common factor ##y## in each summand of the nominator and four of them in the denominator.
Or if you like to proceed with formulas: ##ab+ac=a(b+c)## and ##\frac{y(y-2xy')}{y^4}=\frac{y-2xy'}{y^3}##.

OK, but is it correct of what I've done so far?

askor said:
OK, but is it correct of what I've done so far?
Yes.
And in case you want to differentiate it a second time, it will be a lot easier if ##y## is canceled out before. This also reduces the risk of making mistakes. Since ##y## must not be zero anyway, it may be canceled.

There is a mistake in yours 2 step.
$$\because\;\dfrac{d}{dx}(x)=1\;\&\;\dfrac{d}{dx}(y)^2=2y\cdot\dfrac{dy}{dx}$$
So, your 2 step will be as-
$$\dfrac{d}{dx}\left(\dfrac{x}{y^2}\right)=\dfrac{1\cdot y^2-x\cdot2y\dfrac{dy}{dx}}{y^4}$$
$$=\dfrac{y^2-2xy\left(\dfrac{dy}{dx}\right)}{y^4}$$
I think this will help you in learning implicit differentiation.
http://www.actucation.com/calculus-...ative/implicit-derivative-and-its-application

rahul_26 said:
There is a mistake in yours 2 step.
$$\because\;\dfrac{d}{dx}(x)=1\;\&\;\dfrac{d}{dx}(y)^2=2y\cdot\dfrac{dy}{dx}$$
So, your 2 step will be as-
$$\dfrac{d}{dx}\left(\dfrac{x}{y^2}\right)=\dfrac{1\cdot y^2-x\cdot2y\dfrac{dy}{dx}}{y^4}$$
$$=\dfrac{y^2-2xy\left(\dfrac{dy}{dx}\right)}{y^4}$$
I think this will help you in learning implicit differentiation.
http://www.actucation.com/calculus-...ative/implicit-derivative-and-its-application

Yes you're right. Thank you for the correction.

Related to (ASK) Implicit Differentiation

1. What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a mathematical technique used to differentiate a function that is not explicitly expressed in terms of one of its variables. In other words, it allows us to find the derivative of a function that is written in an implicit form, where both the dependent and independent variables are present in the equation.

2. When is implicit differentiation used?

Implicit differentiation is used when it is not possible or convenient to express a function explicitly in terms of one of its variables. This often occurs in cases where the dependent variable is not isolated on one side of the equation, or when the equation contains trigonometric or exponential functions.

3. How is implicit differentiation performed?

Implicit differentiation involves taking the derivative of both sides of an implicit equation with respect to the independent variable. The chain rule is then applied to any terms that involve the dependent variable, and the resulting equation is solved for the derivative of the dependent variable.

4. What are the advantages of using implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation allows us to find the derivative of a function without having to solve explicitly for the dependent variable. This can be especially useful in cases where it is difficult or impossible to isolate the dependent variable, or when the function is too complex to be solved explicitly.

5. Are there any limitations to using implicit differentiation?

One limitation of implicit differentiation is that it can only be used to find the derivative of a function with respect to one variable. It cannot be used to find higher order derivatives or partial derivatives. Additionally, implicit differentiation may not always give the most simplified form of the derivative, making it less useful for some applications.