Ask for hint for problem of inequality

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, we can prove the inequality x^2+y^2 \le 1 given x^3+y^3\le x-y for all real $x$ and $y$ by first showing that 0\le y \le x and x\le 1, which implies 0\le y \le x \le 1. Then, we use the fact that x(x+y) \le 1(2) \le 2 to show that xy(x+y) \le 2y. Finally, we use this inequality and the given inequality x^3+y^3\le x-y to show that x^2+y^2 \le 1.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Problem:

Let x and y be positive real numbers satisfying the inequality
$\displaystyle x^3+y^3\le x-y$.

Prove that $\displaystyle x^2+y^2\le 1$ .

Hi all, I'm at my wit's end to prove the question as stated above, and I know it's obvious that $\displaystyle x-y>0$ and $\displaystyle x\ne1,\,y\ne1$, and if I factorized the LHS of the given inequality, I get:

$\displaystyle (x+y)(x^2-xy+y^2)\le x-y$

Now, since $\displaystyle x+y>0$, divide the left and right side by $\displaystyle x+y$ to get:

$\displaystyle x^2-xy+y^2\le\frac{x-y}{x+y}$

$\displaystyle x^2+y^2\le\frac{x-y}{x+y}+xy$

$\displaystyle x^2+y^2\le\frac{x-y+xy(x+y)}{x+y}$

And up to this point, I see no credible path to finish what I've started and I must be missing something very important here...
:mad:

As usual, any guidance or help with this problem would be much appreciated.
(Smile)

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
$$
\frac{x - y}{x + y} \leq 1
$$
So $x^2 + y^2 \leq 1 + xy$ .

Theorem:
Given real numbers $a = x^2 + y^2$ and $b = 1$ such that
$$
a\leq b + \varepsilon,\quad \forall\varepsilon > 0.
$$
Then $a\leq b$.

Last edited:
dwsmith said:
$$
\frac{x - y}{x + y} \leq 1
$$
So $x^2 + y^2 \leq 1 + xy$ .

Theorem:
Given real numbers $a = x^2 + y^2$ and $b = 1$ such that
$$
a\leq b + \varepsilon,\quad \forall\varepsilon >0
$$
Then $a\leq b$.

Thank you so much for answering to my question, but, I understand that the theorem is true iff $\varepsilon $ is small , and how do we know we have a small value of xy in this case?

anemone said:
Thank you so much for answering to my question, but, I understand that the theorem is true iff $\varepsilon $ is small , and how do we know we have a small value of xy in this case?
Suppose on the contrary that $b<a$, then let $\varepsilon = \frac{a - b}{2}$ (which may not be infinitesimal small).
$$
b + \varepsilon = b + \frac{a - b}{2} = \frac{a + b}{2} < \frac{a + a}{2} = a
$$
which is a contradiction.
Therefore, $a\leq b$.

Attachments

• x^2+y^2 less then or equal to 1.JPG
    x^2+y^2 less then or equal to 1.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 48
Albert said:

Let $x=y=\frac{1}{2}$.
$$
0\leq\frac{3}{4}\leq\frac{17}{16}\leq 1\leq 2
$$
which isn't true.
Also, x and y can be any real number it says in post 1.

x,y are positive real numbers
$ x^3 +y^3 >0 $
$ so\,\, x\neq y$ (in fact x>y)
x,y be real numbers and meet the given restriction ,so at first I find the range of x and y then prove it will satisfy the inequility
(it is clear x,y can't be any real numbers)

Last edited:
Albert said:
x,y are positive real numbers
$ x^3 +y^3 >0 $
$ so\,\, x\neq y$ (in fact x>y)
x,y be real numbers and meet the given restriction ,so at first I find the range of x and y then prove it will satisfy the inequility
(it is clear x,y can't be any real numbers)

Pick up Tom Apostles Real Analysis book. The theorem I stated was for all real numbers not just less than 1

Here is another method to prove the inequality \(\displaystyle x^2+y^2 \le1\) given \(\displaystyle x^3+y^3\le x-y\) for all real $x$ and $y$. I just saw this solution from another site and immediately wanted to add that solution here...

\(\displaystyle x^3+y^3\le x-y\) tells us \(\displaystyle 0\le y \le x\).

Thus, we have \(\displaystyle x^3\le x\) and this implies \(\displaystyle x \le 1\) and \(\displaystyle 0\le y \le x \le 1\).

In particular, \(\displaystyle x(x+y) \le 1(2) \le 2\;\;\rightarrow\;\;xy(x+y) \le 2y\).

Finally, \(\displaystyle x^3+y^3=(x+y)(x^2-xy+y^2) \le x-y\), so

\(\displaystyle x^2-xy+y^2 \le \frac{x-y}{x+y}\)

\(\displaystyle x^2+y^2 \le \frac{x-y}{x+y}+xy \le \frac{x-y+xy(x+y)}{x+y} \le \frac{x-y+2y}{x+y} \le 1\). (Q.E.D.)

Related to Ask for hint for problem of inequality

1. What is the purpose of asking for a hint for a problem of inequality?

The purpose of asking for a hint for a problem of inequality is to gain a better understanding of the concepts and methods involved in solving the problem. It can also help identify any potential mistakes or misunderstandings in your approach.

2. How can a hint help in solving a problem of inequality?

A hint can provide guidance and direction on how to approach the problem, point out key concepts or relationships, and suggest possible strategies for solving it. This can help clarify any confusion and make the problem more manageable.

3. Is asking for a hint considered cheating?

No, asking for a hint is not considered cheating. It is a common and acceptable practice in problem-solving, as long as the hint is used to understand the problem and develop your own solution.

4. Can asking for a hint be useful for advanced mathematicians?

Yes, asking for a hint can be useful for mathematicians at any level. It can offer a fresh perspective and help overcome any roadblocks in the problem-solving process, regardless of one's level of expertise.

5. How do I know when it is appropriate to ask for a hint?

There is no set rule for when it is appropriate to ask for a hint. It is ultimately up to your discretion and judgement. However, if you have spent a significant amount of time on a problem and are still struggling to make progress, asking for a hint can be a helpful next step.