As if grizzlies and polar bears weren't enough

• Thread starter mgb_phys
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polar
In summary: Anything to suck them in and have a laugh. IMO a joke is a good ice breaker and can encourage folks to go further into the fascinating details.
mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Canada obviously feeling inferior to Australia in the dangerous creature stakes have decided to go one better:

"Canadian scientist aims to turn chickens into dinosaurs"
http://www.physorg.com/news170426405.html

Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
Funded by KFC, which is currently investing in really big fryers.

:smile:

It's just our way of once and for all shutting up Bush and those idiots in Kansas who don't believe in evolution. Once we build a few T-Rex's, we're going to send them down there to eat the bastards. :biggrin:

From PhysOrg?

Gosh, the velociraptor attacks that xkcd comics were fearing may actually come true.

Awesome.

Chop chop! I want a baby dinosaur in time for Christmas.

Woah. Sign me up for a baby Triceratops, me and my girlfriend were just talking about that animal a few days ago. Imagine I got her one... I need to get in contact with this guy.

Sorry! said:
Woah. Sign me up for a baby Triceratops, me and my girlfriend were just talking about that animal a few days ago. Imagine I got her one... I need to get in contact with this guy.

Buying her a stuffed Sarrah from Land Before Time would probably be cheaper.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Buying her a stuffed Sarrah from Land Before Time would probably be cheaper.

Stuffed with apples and breading you mean. Nom nom nom.

Sorry! said:

Good way to get rid of her if you ever feel like :-p

Remember, a Tyrannosaurus Rex is for life - not just for christmas.

rootX said:
Good way to get rid of her if you ever feel like :-p

;) lol.

In all serious though what you guys think about this article? Even seem plausible?

why not ?? dilbert already had one.

Sorry! said:
;) lol.

In all serious though what you guys think about this article? Even seem plausible?

Actually getting a dinosaur? No. But getting some aspects of dinosaur anatomy? Maybe.

It's already been done with teeth. See Harris, M.P. et. al. (2006) The development of archosaurian first-generation teeth in a chicken mutant. in Curr Biol. 2006 Feb 21;16(4):371-7. Also a http://www.scienceblog.com/cms/hens_teeth_not_so_rare_after_all_10081.html of the work.

chicken_with_teeth.jpg

Cheers -- Sylas

I hate to confess, but the image is a joke. The mutant birds have other severe development problems, and do not survive to hatch.

PS. Con: higher insurance premiums for poultry farmers. Pro: A drum stick will feed a family of seventeen.

Last edited by a moderator:
sylas said:
Actually getting a dinosaur? No. But getting some aspects of dinosaur anatomy? Maybe.

It's already been done with teeth. See Harris, M.P. et. al. (2006) The development of archosaurian first-generation teeth in a chicken mutant. in Curr Biol. 2006 Feb 21;16(4):371-7. Also a http://www.scienceblog.com/cms/hens_teeth_not_so_rare_after_all_10081.html of the work.

I hope nobody mistakes this Photoshop hack job as having anything to do with this article...the REAL pictures are much less shocking

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/6879/40992804.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
junglebeast said:
I hope nobody mistakes this Photoshop hack job as having anything to do with this article...the REAL pictures are much less shocking

Anything to suck them in and have a laugh. IMO a joke is a good ice breaker and can encourage folks to go further into the fascinating details. (I did put a disclaimer underneath!)

Thanks for finding and posting the real images! -- cheers, sylas

mgb_phys said:
Canada obviously feeling inferior to Australia in the dangerous creature stakes

While I admit that Oz has a lot of really nasty, poisonous critters, and crocs, I think that I'd rather face one of them than a polar bear.

mgb_phys said:
Remember, a Tyrannosaurus Rex is for life - not just for christmas.

:smile: I think that one could have made the old David Letterman list of "lines that you never expected to hear".

Related to As if grizzlies and polar bears weren't enough

1. What is the main purpose of the article "As if grizzlies and polar bears weren't enough"?

The main purpose of the article is to discuss the potential consequences of climate change on the Arctic ecosystem, specifically the impact on grizzlies and polar bears.

2. How are grizzlies and polar bears affected by climate change?

Both grizzlies and polar bears are affected by climate change in various ways. The melting of sea ice due to rising temperatures is reducing the polar bear's habitat and food sources, while grizzlies are also facing habitat loss and changes in food availability due to shifts in plant growth and berry production.

3. What are some potential solutions to mitigate the effects of climate change on grizzlies and polar bears?

One potential solution is to reduce greenhouse gas emissions through sustainable practices and alternative energy sources. Another solution is to implement conservation efforts and protected areas for these species to thrive in their changing habitats.

4. Are there any other species that are also affected by climate change in the Arctic?

Yes, there are many other species that are affected by climate change in the Arctic, including Arctic foxes, caribou, and walruses. These species are facing similar challenges such as habitat loss, food scarcity, and changing migration patterns.

5. How can individuals help in protecting grizzlies and polar bears from the impacts of climate change?

Individuals can help by reducing their carbon footprint through actions such as using public transportation, conserving energy, and supporting sustainability efforts. Additionally, supporting organizations and policies that aim to protect and conserve these species and their habitats can also make a difference.