Artificial Gravity in a space station

In summary, artificial gravity in a space station is achieved through the use of centripetal force created by rotating the station. It has several benefits, such as preventing negative effects of microgravity and allowing for normal activities. The rotation is controlled by gyroscopes and there may be potential drawbacks such as energy usage and stability issues. Artificial gravity can potentially be used on other planets, but careful consideration of the planet's gravity is necessary.
jacksonpeeble
Gold Member

Homework Statement

To create artificial gravity, the space station shown in the drawing is rotating at a rate of 1.10 rpm. The radii of the cylindrically shaped chambers have the ratio rA/rB = 3.85. Each chamber A simulates an acceleration due to gravity of 10.0 m/s2.

05_36.gif

(a) Find rA.
(b) Find rB.
(c) Find the acceleration due to gravity that is simulated in chamber B.

Homework Equations

aA=vA2/rA
rA=aAT2/(4pi2)
aB=4pirB/T2

The Attempt at a Solution

Obviously, we have the information that the problem statement gave. Also, t=60. When problem (a) is found, that would just have to be divided by 3.85 to get the next answer, as well. However, I do not understand how to apply the formulas that I have been given to yield answers.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can either find the period of rotation or the linear velocity at rA. Use those in the equations you gave with aA being the acceleration.

I do not understand how to apply the equations. Detailed help would be greatly appreciated.

I do need to turn these answers into my online class (online math classes are awful in my opinion, it's so hard to learn from them) by midnight, but I would also like to understand.

From what it sounds like, your problem is the actual understanding of what each equation means.

aA=VA2/rA

This gives the acceleration (aA) from the linear velocity (VA) and the radius of rotation (rA).

rA=aAT2/(4pi2)

This gives the radius of rotation (rA) from the acceleration (aA) and the period of rotation (T).

aB=4pi (rB/T2)

This gives the acceleration (aB) from the radius of rotation (rB) and the period of rotation (T).

For the first equation, what are the values that go along with the variables?

For example, as mentioned, T=60.

aA=? (shouldn't it be equal to 10)
VA=?
rA=?

jacksonpeeble said:
For example, as mentioned, T=60.

I don't see how you are getting T=60.

aA=? (shouldn't it be equal to 10)

Yes. But don't forget your units.

VA=?

This is something that you would need to find.

rA=?

This is what the problem is asking for.

One thing to note, you don't have to use the equations in the order they are given, nor do they have to be in the form they are given. You can algebraically manipulate them to find the terms you need.

Thanks for all of your help! I was able to solve all parts of the question because you pointed out that I was incorrect. I was accidentally using the value for 1 rpm, which would be 60.

T=60*1.1=66

This messed up the combined equation that I was attempting to use, and all of the others, leading me to believe that I misunderstood the variables.

jacksonpeeble said:
T=60*1.1=66

Double check your units, you have T = (1.1 rev/min) * (60 sec/min) = 66 rev*sec/min2.

What it should be is Freq = (1.1 rev/min) * (1 min/60sec) = 1.1 rev/60 sec with T = 1/Freq, making T = 60 sec/1.1 rev.

Related to Artificial Gravity in a space station

1. How does artificial gravity work in a space station?

Artificial gravity in a space station is created through the use of centripetal force. This is achieved by rotating the space station to create a centrifugal force that simulates the effects of gravity.

2. What are the benefits of having artificial gravity in a space station?

Having artificial gravity in a space station can help prevent the negative effects of microgravity on the human body, such as bone and muscle loss. It also allows for more normal day-to-day activities, making it easier for astronauts to live and work in space for extended periods of time.

3. How is the rotation of a space station controlled to maintain artificial gravity?

The rotation of a space station is controlled by gyroscopes, which use the principles of angular momentum to maintain a constant rotation. The speed of rotation is carefully monitored and adjusted to ensure that the artificial gravity remains consistent.

4. Are there any potential drawbacks to using artificial gravity in a space station?

One potential drawback of using artificial gravity in a space station is the need for a large amount of energy to maintain the rotation. This can also cause issues with the stability of the space station and may require additional maintenance and repairs.

5. Can artificial gravity be used on other planets?

Yes, artificial gravity can potentially be used on other planets by creating rotating habitats similar to a space station. However, the strength of the gravitational pull on the planet would need to be taken into consideration to ensure that the rotation of the habitat does not cause any negative effects on the human body.