Argumenting for this inequality involving the residual of a taylor series of ln

Your Name]In summary, the inequality |R_n \ln{x}| \leq \frac{1}{n+1}(x-1)^{n+1} is true for x > 1 due to the contributions of the terms (x-1)^{n+1} and R_n \ln{x}, as well as their behavior as n and x vary. These factors support the truth of the inequality and provide additional evidence for its validity.
lo2

Homework Statement

OK I have to argument for the fact that this inequality is true, where x > 1.

[itex] |R_n \ln{x}| \leq \frac{1}{n+1}(x-1)^{n+1}[/itex]

And I have found out that the residual is equal to this:

[itex]R_n \ln{x} = \frac{1}{n!} \int^x_a{f^{n+1}(t)(x-t)^{n}dt}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So since I have to just argument, not prove.

Can I just look at the parts [itex]\frac{1}{n!}[/itex] and [itex](x-1)^{n+1}[/itex], and then say that the first one goes towards zero very fastly as n increases whereas the other one goes towards infinity quite rapidly as well. And therefore this inequality must be true.

Also I perhaps should add that this part:

[itex] \frac{(x-1)^{n+1}}{n+1}[/itex]

Goes toward infinity as the exponential function out-sprints the linear function. Of course only for x > 2.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this inequality. I would like to contribute to this discussion by providing some additional arguments for the truth of this inequality.

Firstly, we can consider the term (x-1)^{n+1}. As x > 1, this term will always be positive. As n increases, this term will grow at a faster rate than the term 1/(n+1). This can be seen by considering the limit of (x-1)^{n+1}/(n+1) as n approaches infinity, which is equal to infinity. Therefore, this term will always dominate over the term 1/(n+1) and contribute to the overall inequality being true.

Secondly, let's look at the term R_n \ln{x}. This term represents the residual of the Taylor series for the natural logarithm function, evaluated at x. As n increases, the Taylor series becomes a more accurate approximation of the natural logarithm function. This means that the residual R_n \ln{x} will decrease in magnitude, making the overall inequality more likely to be true.

Furthermore, as x > 1, the natural logarithm function is an increasing function. This means that the value of R_n \ln{x} will also increase as x increases. As a result, the magnitude of R_n \ln{x} will be larger for larger values of x, making the overall inequality more likely to be true.

In conclusion, the terms (x-1)^{n+1} and R_n \ln{x} both contribute to the overall inequality being true, and their behavior as n and x vary support the truth of the inequality. I hope this helps to further your understanding of why this inequality holds true.

Related to Argumenting for this inequality involving the residual of a taylor series of ln

1. What is a Taylor series?

A Taylor series is a mathematical concept used to approximate a function as an infinite sum of terms. It is based on the idea that any differentiable function can be represented by a power series.

2. How is the residual of a Taylor series calculated?

The residual of a Taylor series is calculated by finding the difference between the actual value of the function and the value predicted by the Taylor series at a given point. It is a measure of how well the Taylor series approximates the function.

3. Why is ln used in this inequality?

In this inequality, ln is used to represent the natural logarithm function. This function is commonly used in mathematics and has many applications in the sciences, making it a useful tool for understanding and analyzing various phenomena.

4. What is the significance of argumenting for this inequality?

Argumenting for this inequality is important because it allows us to better understand and analyze the behavior of the natural logarithm function. It also helps us to make accurate predictions and approximations using the Taylor series representation of ln.

5. How does this inequality relate to other mathematical concepts?

This inequality involving the residual of a Taylor series of ln is related to other mathematical concepts such as calculus, power series, and approximation methods. It can also be applied in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and analyze various phenomena.