Area of z^2=xy inside Hemisphere: Surface Integrals

In summary: I'm really struggling to think of how to do that though.And again, I'm really sorry but I don't see how? z=sqrt(2xy) dz/dx=1/2*(2y)*(2xy)^-1/2 = y/(2xy)^1/2 ? or have I made another mistake that I just can't... see?You are not going to get anywhere unless you do that work yourself. You need to make a sketch of the region, figure out the limits of integration, and then write down the integral. I'll give you a hint: the region is a subset of the unit disk in the (x,y)-plane, and you will probably need to split the region
Physgeek64

Homework Statement

Find the area of the part of z^2=xy that lies inside the hemisphere x^2+y^2+z^2=1, z>0

Homework Equations

da= double integral sqrt(1+(dz/dx)^2+(dz/dy)^2))dxdy

The Attempt at a Solution

(dz/dx)^2=y/2x
(dz/dy)^2=x/2y
=> double integral (x+y)(sqrt(2xy)^-1/5) dxdy

Now I'm guessing that a change of coordinates will be useful here. I was thinking spherical coordinates, due to the presence of a sphere. But I'm not too sure?

many thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Physgeek64 said:

Homework Statement

Find the area of the part of z^2=xy that lies inside the hemisphere x^2+y^2+z^2=1, z>0

Homework Equations

da= double integral sqrt(1+(dz/dx)^2+(dz/dy)^2))dxdy

The Attempt at a Solution

(dz/dx)^2=y/2x
(dz/dy)^2=x/2y
=> double integral (x+y)(sqrt(2xy)^-1/5) dxdy

Now I'm guessing that a change of coordinates will be useful here. I was thinking spherical coordinates, due to the presence of a sphere. But I'm not too sure?

many thanks :)

You have made a good start. What is stopping you from going ahead? It is much too early to guess about what kind of coordinate transformation to make: write down the complete details of your final double integral first, then decide on any possible changes of variables.

Ray Vickson said:
You have made a good start. What is stopping you from going ahead? It is much too early to guess about what kind of coordinate transformation to make: write down the complete details of your final double integral first, then decide on any possible changes of variables.
I thought I had? I don't see how I can take that integral any further?
Thank you so much for replying- I really appreciate it :)

Physgeek64 said:
I thought I had? I don't see how I can take that integral any further?
Thank you so much for replying- I really appreciate it :)

But: you are only half-finished. One of the most important aspects (that you have not yet addressed) is: what is the integration region in the (x,y)-plane? Without that, you can go nowhere.

Besides: your expression for dA is incorrect: it is not ##(x+y)/\sqrt{2xy} \: dx \, dy##.

Ray Vickson said:
But: you are only half-finished. One of the most important aspects (that you have not yet addressed) is: what is the integration region in the (x,y)-plane? Without that, you can go nowhere.

Besides: your expression for dA is incorrect: it is not ##(x+y)/\sqrt{2xy} \: dx \, dy##.
Ohh of course. So would the limits be x=-sqrt(1-y^2) to x=sqrt(1-y^2) and y from -1 to 1?

Is it not?

I got dz/dx=y/sqrt(2xy) and dz/dy=x/sqrt(2xy)

so 1+(dz/dx)^2+(dz/dy)^2= 1+y/2x+x/2y = (2xy+y^2+x^2)/2xy = (x+y)^2/2xy

so sqrt(1+(dz/dx)^2+(dz/dy)^2) = (x+y)/sqrt(2xy) ?

I am known for making a lot of algebraic mistakes so its more than possible that I've don't this wrong, but I can't see where

Thank you :)

Physgeek64 said:
Ohh of course. So would the limits be x=-sqrt(1-y^2) to x=sqrt(1-y^2) and y from -1 to 1?

Is it not?

I got dz/dx=y/sqrt(2xy) and dz/dy=x/sqrt(2xy)

so 1+(dz/dx)^2+(dz/dy)^2= 1+y/2x+x/2y = (2xy+y^2+x^2)/2xy = (x+y)^2/2xy

so sqrt(1+(dz/dx)^2+(dz/dy)^2) = (x+y)/sqrt(2xy) ?

I am known for making a lot of algebraic mistakes so its more than possible that I've don't this wrong, but I can't see where

Thank you :)

Your region is still incorrect. Instead of writing down the first thing that pops into your mind, take the time to it out carefully and in detail from first principles. (1) What determines the integration region in (x,y) - space? (2) How would you express this algebraically? (3) You will get a boundary curve in (x,y)-space. In terms of its algebraic characterization, what type of curve will you get?

You may need to devote quite a bit of time and effort to this part of the problem, in which case there are no shortcuts. It is more important to get it right than to save some time.

I would bet that you have worked out such problems before, in other courses, or maybe earlier in the current course.

And no: you still do not have the correct expression for dA. One last hint: your derivatives ##\partial z/\partial x## and ##\partial z/\partial y## are wrong.

Ray Vickson said:
Your region is still incorrect. Instead of writing down the first thing that pops into your mind, take the time to it out carefully and in detail from first principles. (1) What determines the integration region in (x,y) - space? (2) How would you express this algebraically? (3) You will get a boundary curve in (x,y)-space. In terms of its algebraic characterization, what type of curve will you get?

You may need to devote quite a bit of time and effort to this part of the problem, in which case there are no shortcuts. It is more important to get it right than to save some time.

I would bet that you have worked out such problems before, in other courses, or maybe earlier in the current course.

And no: you still do not have the correct expression for dA. One last hint: your derivatives ##\partial z/\partial x## and ##\partial z/\partial y## are wrong.
Ray Vickson said:

I'm really struggling to think of how to do that though.

And again, I'm really sorry but I don't see how? z=sqrt(2xy) dz/dx=1/2*(2y)*(2xy)^-1/2 = y/(2xy)^1/2 ? or have I made another mistake that I just can't see

You wrote ##z^2 = xy## in the original post. Now you're saying ##z = \sqrt{2xy}##. Which is correct?

vela said:
You wrote ##z^2 = xy## in the original post. Now you're saying ##z = \sqrt{2xy}##. Which is correct?
Ahh my mistake. It was meant to be z^2=2xy in the original post. Sorry!

Physgeek64 said:
Ahh my mistake. It was meant to be z^2=2xy in the original post. Sorry!

That changes everything! It changes the (x,y)-region, it changes the integrand---everything.

Ray Vickson said:
That changes everything! It changes the (x,y)-region, it changes the integrand---everything.
I'm really sorry :( I didn't mean to mistype it- I'm just not that good with computers.

But I'm lost as to where to go from here...

Physgeek64 said:
I'm really sorry :( I didn't mean to mistype it- I'm just not that good with computers.

But I'm lost as to where to go from here...

All my previous advice still holds: (1) work out the (x,y)-region carefully, from first principles. (2) Double-check your x and y-derivatives of ##z = \sqrt{2} \sqrt{xy}##. (3) Write down in detail the integration involved in getting your final answer. (4) Then, and only then, worry about how to actually do the integral or integrals.

Beyond that, I am not permitted to say more, at least by my interpretation of the PF rules.

Ray Vickson said:
All my previous advice still holds: (1) work out the (x,y)-region carefully, from first principles. (2) Double-check your x and y-derivatives of ##z = \sqrt{2} \sqrt{xy}##. (3) Write down in detail the integration involved in getting your final answer. (4) Then, and only then, worry about how to actually do the integral or integrals.

Beyond that, I am not permitted to say more, at least by my interpretation of the PF rules.

Its fine I managed to work it out. But thank you for your help anyway :)

Related to Area of z^2=xy inside Hemisphere: Surface Integrals

What is the equation for the area of z^2=xy inside a hemisphere?

The equation for the area of z^2=xy inside a hemisphere is A = 2πr^2, where r is the radius of the hemisphere.

How do I calculate the surface integral for z^2=xy inside a hemisphere?

To calculate the surface integral for z^2=xy inside a hemisphere, you can use the formula ∫∫√(1+(∂z/∂x)^2+(∂z/∂y)^2)dA, where the limits of integration are determined by the shape and orientation of the hemisphere.

What is the physical significance of the surface integral for z^2=xy inside a hemisphere?

The surface integral for z^2=xy inside a hemisphere represents the total surface area of the hemisphere. This can have applications in various fields, such as engineering and physics, where calculating surface areas is important for understanding and solving problems.

Can the surface integral for z^2=xy inside a hemisphere be used to find the volume of the hemisphere?

No, the surface integral for z^2=xy inside a hemisphere cannot be used to find the volume of the hemisphere. To find the volume, you would need to use the formula V = (2/3)πr^3, where r is the radius of the hemisphere.

Are there any other applications of the surface integral for z^2=xy inside a hemisphere?

Yes, the surface integral for z^2=xy inside a hemisphere has applications in various fields such as electromagnetism, fluid mechanics, and heat transfer. It can also be used to calculate the surface area of other curved shapes, not just hemispheres.