Area of triangle formed by 2 vectors

In summary, To find the area of triangle ABC, you need to calculate the determinant of the cross product of vectors a and b, which results in -120i + 129j - 42k. This means that you need to square those values and take the square root to find the area of the parallelogram, and then divide by 2 to get the area of the triangle. In order to calculate the length of the height PM, you can use the formula |axb|=|a|*|b|*sin(t) where t is the smaller angle between vectors a and b. From there, you can use trigonometry to find the length of PM.
heidihiiiiiii

Homework Statement

I have a triangle ABC formed by vectors a = ( 2, 10, 25 ) and b = ( 5, 4, -2 ) attached at a point P.
And I have to calculate the area of the triangle ABC.

Homework Equations

I'm pretty certain that I need to find the area of the parellogram and then half it.
So I need to find the cross product, by calculating the determinant.

The Attempt at a Solution

Calculating the determinant I got
-120 i + 129 j - 42 k
so does this mean i square those and take the square root of them to find the area of the parellogram and then half it...
= 181.121
=> area of triangle = 90.56

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure, you're doing it right.

Thanks..I thought I was on the right lines, just needed reassuring :)

I got the area of the traingle to be 81root5 / 2

But now I need to calculate the length of the height PM (where PM perpendicular to BC and the point M belongs to the line BC)

I'm guessing as I know the area and 2 vectors I can take it from there...but I really have no idea...

Use |axb|=|a|*|b|*sin(t), where t is the smaller angle between the vectors a and b. Find t and use trig.

Related to Area of triangle formed by 2 vectors

What is the formula for calculating the area of a triangle formed by 2 vectors?

The formula for calculating the area of a triangle formed by 2 vectors is 1/2 * magnitude of the cross product of the two vectors.

How do you find the magnitude of the cross product of two vectors?

The magnitude of the cross product can be found by taking the absolute value of the determinant of the matrix formed by the two vectors.

What is the significance of the area of a triangle formed by two vectors in vector analysis?

The area of a triangle formed by two vectors is important in vector analysis because it represents the magnitude of the cross product, which is used in various calculations such as finding the normal vector and determining the angle between two vectors.

Can the area of a triangle formed by two vectors be negative?

No, the area of a triangle formed by two vectors cannot be negative as it represents a physical quantity and cannot have a negative value.

Are there any special cases when calculating the area of a triangle formed by two vectors?

Yes, if the two vectors are parallel or anti-parallel, the area of the triangle formed by them will be 0 as the cross product will be 0.