Area of Surface of Revolution of Plane Curve - Use 1/2 Interval?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the area of a surface generated by revolving a given curve around the y-axis. The equations for the curve and its derivatives are provided, and the attempt at a solution involves finding the integral from 0 to pi/2. The correctness of this approach is questioned and it is later determined that the question was not valid due to the curve not lying entirely on one side of the axis of revolution.
ross1219

Homework Statement

Find the area of the surface generated by revolving the curve

Homework Equations

x = 5(cos3t), y = 5(sin3t), 0 ≤ t ≤ [itex]\pi[/itex], about the y axis.

The Attempt at a Solution

x' = -15(cos2t)(sin t)
y' = 15(sin2t)(cos t)

(I think this forms the top part of an astroid)

[x'(t)]2 = 225(cos4t)(sin2t)
[y'(t)]2 = 225(sin4t)(cos2t)

S = 2[itex]\pi[/itex][itex]\int[/itex](from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex]/2) 5(cos3t) sqrt[225(cos4t)(sin2t) + 225(sin4t)(cos2t)] dt

S = 2[itex]\pi[/itex][itex]\int[/itex](from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex]/2) 5(cos3t) sqrt[225(cos2t)(sin2t)*(cos2t + sin2t)] dt

S = 2[itex]\pi[/itex][itex]\int[/itex](from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex]/2) 5(cos3t) sqrt[225(cos2t)(sin2t)(1)] dt

S = 2[itex]\pi[/itex][itex]\int[/itex](from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex]/2) 5(cos3t)*15(cos t)(sin t) dt

S = 150[itex]\pi[/itex][itex]\int[/itex](from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex]/2) (cos4t)(sin t) dt

S = -150[itex]\pi[/itex][itex]\int[/itex](from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex]/2) (cos4t)(-sin t) dt

S = -150[itex]\pi[/itex] [(cos5t) / 5] from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex]/2

S = -150[itex]\pi[/itex] (0 - 1/5)

S = 30[itex]\pi[/itex] units2

Please excuse my formatting. My basic question is, was I correct to take the integral only from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex]/2, even though the interval given for the plane curve is from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex]?

My secondary question is, do you see anything else I messed up?

Thank you much.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Follow-up: The instructor admitted that this question was not valid, because the curve does not lie entirely on one side of the axis of revolution.

Related to Area of Surface of Revolution of Plane Curve - Use 1/2 Interval?

1. What is the formula for finding the area of surface of revolution of a plane curve using 1/2 interval?

The formula for finding the area of surface of revolution of a plane curve using 1/2 interval is A = π∫ab ((f(x))^2 + (f'(x))^2) dx, where f(x) is the function representing the curve and a and b are the bounds of the interval.

2. How is the 1/2 interval method different from other methods of finding the area of surface of revolution?

The 1/2 interval method is different from other methods because it divides the interval into smaller subintervals and calculates the area of each subinterval separately, resulting in a more accurate approximation of the actual surface area.

3. Can the 1/2 interval method be used for any type of curve?

Yes, the 1/2 interval method can be used for any type of curve as long as the function representing the curve is continuous and differentiable on the given interval.

4. How can the 1/2 interval method be applied in real-life situations?

The 1/2 interval method can be applied in real-life situations to calculate the surface area of objects with non-uniform shapes, such as a bottle or a vase, where traditional methods may not be accurate enough.

5. Are there any limitations to using the 1/2 interval method?

One limitation of the 1/2 interval method is that it may be more time-consuming and complex compared to other methods, especially for curves with complicated equations. It also requires a good understanding of calculus and integration to accurately apply the method.