Area of Polar Curve: Find Outer Loop

In summary, the area inside the larger loop and outside the smaller loop of the limacon r=.5+cosθ is 2.08. The calculation involves finding the area of the outer loop and subtracting the area of the inner loop. The inner loop has a range of 120 degrees to 240 degrees, while the outer loop has a range of 0 to 2pi. The integral must have a dθ term in order to get the correct answer.
steel1

Homework Statement

Find the area inside the larger loop and outside the smaller loop of the limacon r=.5+cosθ
Picture here http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=r=.5+costheta

Homework Equations

Area = .5∫r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

To get the area of the outer loop, you just get the value of the entire area, and then just subtract the area of the inner loop. I use two integrals for this

To start, i get the area of the inner loop.
r=.5+cosθ
-.5=cosθ
θ=120 degrees or 2pi/3. and 240 degrees, or 1.33pi.
.5∫(.5+cosθ)^2 evaluated at 2pi/3(lower bound on integral) and 1.33pi(upper bound on integral).
I get .135879

Now, I have to get the area of the entire limacon. I use the bounds zero and 2pi

.5∫(.5+cos)^2 which 2pi as upper limit and 0 as lower limit.

I get 2.35619

Now, 2.35619-.135879 i get 2.2203.

This is the wrong answer though, the correct answer is 2.08. If i was to subtract another .135879 from 2.2203, that would give me the right answer. But why do i have to subtract another .135879? I should be getting the correct answer with the set up i have.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The integral right around will include the area in the inner loop twice: once as part of the outer loop and again as the inner loop part of the range.

So your saying that it takes longer than 2pi to complete before it starts tracing over itself again? and idea how i can find the time it takes a polar curve to complete 1 cycle?

steel1 said:

Homework Statement

Find the area inside the larger loop and outside the smaller loop of the limacon r=.5+cosθ
Picture here http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=r=.5+costheta

Homework Equations

Area = .5∫r^2
This integral needs to have dθ with it.

The Attempt at a Solution

To get the area of the outer loop, you just get the value of the entire area, and then just subtract the area of the inner loop. I use two integrals for this

To start, i get the area of the inner loop.
r=.5+cosθ
-.5=cosθ
θ=120 degrees or 2pi/3. and 240 degrees, or 1.33pi.
.5∫(.5+cosθ)^2 evaluated at 2pi/3(lower bound on integral) and 1.33pi(upper bound on integral).
I get .135879

Now, I have to get the area of the entire limacon. I use the bounds zero and 2pi

.5∫(.5+cos)^2 which 2pi as upper limit and 0 as lower limit.

I get 2.35619

Now, 2.35619-.135879 i get 2.2203.

This is the wrong answer though, the correct answer is 2.08. If i was to subtract another .135879 from 2.2203, that would give me the right answer. But why do i have to subtract another .135879? I should be getting the correct answer with the set up i have.
The inner loop is for the case where r is negative. That's for values of θ satisfying [itex]\displaystyle \ \frac{1}{2}+\cos(\theta)<0\ .[/itex]

steel1 said:
So your saying that it takes longer than 2pi to complete before it starts tracing over itself again? and idea how i can find the time it takes a polar curve to complete 1 cycle?

No, I'm not saying that. The outer loop range is θ from -2π/3 to 2π/3, say, and the inner loop from 2π/3 to 4π/3. Suppose the two loops have areas A and B. The outer loop contains the inner loop, so the area betwen them is A-B. You computed the integral from 0 to 2π, which is A+B. A-B = A+B -2B.

Hmm. you would think A+B-B, the B's just cancel and your left with A. but i guess not though

steel1 said:
Hmm. you would think A+B-B, the B's just cancel and your left with A. but i guess not though
But you don't want A. A is the area within the outer loop. That includes the area of the inner loop. you want A-B, the area between the two loops.

Hmm, ok thanks for explaining. Also, 1 small question. why is the inner loop at .5 at 180 degrees, when cos(pi)+.5 is actually -.5?

When theta = pi, r = -.5 in the direction pi, which is the same as +.5 in the direction 0.

Related to Area of Polar Curve: Find Outer Loop

1. What is the area of a polar curve?

The area of a polar curve refers to the total space enclosed by the curve when plotted on a polar coordinate system.

2. How do you find the outer loop of a polar curve?

To find the outer loop of a polar curve, you need to first identify the starting and ending points of the curve. Then, you can use the formula for finding the area of a polar curve to calculate the area of the outer loop.

3. Can the area of a polar curve be negative?

No, the area of a polar curve cannot be negative as it represents a physical space and cannot have a negative value.

4. What is the difference between the area of a polar curve and the area under a polar curve?

The area of a polar curve refers to the total space enclosed by the curve, while the area under a polar curve refers to the space between the curve and the origin on a polar coordinate system. The area under a polar curve can also be referred to as the integral of the polar curve.

5. Are there any special cases when finding the area of a polar curve?

Yes, there are a few special cases when finding the area of a polar curve. One example is when the curve crosses the origin, in which case the area would need to be calculated separately for each section of the curve on either side of the origin.