Area of Isosceles Triangle Problem

In summary: Thanks for taking the time to help everyone on the forums.In summary, the problem deals with an isosceles triangle with two sides of equal length and a variable angle x. The area of the triangle is represented by A and can be expressed as 50sin(x) using the double angle formula. The problem also asks for the rate of change of the area when x is increasing at a rate of 10 degrees per minute, which is calculated as 4.36cm^2/min. To find the maximum area, optimization techniques are used to determine that A will be maximum when x=pi/2.
Jimbo57

Homework Statement

An Isosceles triangle has two equal sides of length 10cm. Let x be the angle between the two equal sides.

a. Express the area A of the triangle as a function of x in radians.

b. Suppose that x is increasing at the rate of 10 degrees per minute. How fast is A changing at the instant x = pi/3? At what value of x will the triangle have a maximum area?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For part A, I know the answer is 50sin(x) using the double angle formula

for B)
dx/dt=10degrees=0.1745rad

da/dt=50cos(x)(dx/dt)
=50cos(pi/3)(0.1745)
=4.36cm^2/min

For max area, using optimization techniques:

A'=50cosx >0 for 0<x<pi/2 and 3pi/2<x<2pi (since dimensions can't be negative)
A' <0 for pi/2<x<3pi/2
A'= 0 for x= pi/2 and 3pi/2
Using closed interval method:
A(pi/2)=50
A(3pi/2)=-50, therefore A will be max when x=pi/2

I put this in another thread from about a year ago but the information was scrambled and I didn't receive any feedback, anyone mind taking a look at this to see if it's correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jimbo57 said:

Homework Statement

An Isosceles triangle has two equal sides of length 10cm. Let x be the angle between the two equal sides.

a. Express the area A of the triangle as a function of x in radians.

b. Suppose that x is increasing at the rate of 10 degrees per minute. How fast is A changing at the instant x = pi/3? At what value of x will the triangle have a maximum area?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For part A, I know the answer is 50sin(x) using the double angle formula

for B)
dx/dt=10degrees=0.1745rad

da/dt=50cos(x)(dx/dt)
=50cos(pi/3)(0.1745)
=4.36cm^2/min

For max area, using optimization techniques:

A'=50cosx >0 for 0<x<pi/2 and 3pi/2<x<2pi (since dimensions can't be negative)
A' <0 for pi/2<x<3pi/2
A'= 0 for x= pi/2 and 3pi/2
Using closed interval method:
A(pi/2)=50
A(3pi/2)=-50, therefore A will be max when x=pi/2

I put this in another thread from about a year ago but the information was scrambled and I didn't receive any feedback, anyone mind taking a look at this to see if it's correct?

That looks ok. Except I would say the correct range for x should 0<=x<=pi. Just because all of the angles of a triangle should be in that range.

Dick, you've helped me on all of the questions that I've posted here. Thanks a bunch!

Related to Area of Isosceles Triangle Problem

1. What is an isosceles triangle?

An isosceles triangle is a triangle with two sides of equal length and two angles of equal measure.

2. How do you find the area of an isosceles triangle?

To find the area of an isosceles triangle, you can use the formula A = 1/2 * base * height, where the base is the length of one of the equal sides and the height is the perpendicular distance from the base to the opposite vertex.

3. Can you use the Pythagorean theorem to find the area of an isosceles triangle?

No, the Pythagorean theorem is used to find the length of the sides of a right triangle, not the area.

4. What are the properties of an isosceles triangle?

In addition to having two equal sides and two equal angles, an isosceles triangle also has a line of symmetry through the vertex opposite the equal sides.

5. How is an isosceles triangle different from an equilateral triangle?

An equilateral triangle has all sides and angles of equal length, while an isosceles triangle only has two equal sides and two equal angles.