Area of circle using integration

In summary, the conversation discusses using the Pythagorean theorem to describe the relationship between width and height in a given context. The triangle used in the theorem is not shown in the picture and the horizontal leg is half the width of the strip. The question is how to describe width in terms of height in this context. The answer is already given in the equation, which is ##w = 2\sqrt{3^2 - h^2}.##
PhysicsBoyMan

Homework Statement

http://postimage.org/]Screen_Shot_2016_01_09_at_10_13_38_AM.png[/PLAIN]
free picture upload

2. The attempt at a solution
I want to go width times delta height. To do this I must describe width in terms of height.

Here they used the Pythagorean theorem which is weird to me because I don't see a nice triangle. Where h meets w the triangle extends outside of the circle. We divide w by 2 I guess to treat it as like a radius?

I guess my question is how do I describe width in terms of height in this context?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
PhysicsBoyMan said:

Homework Statement

Screen_Shot_2016_01_09_at_10_13_38_AM.png[/PLAIN]
free picture upload

2. The attempt at a solution
I want to go width times delta height. To do this I must describe width in terms of height.

Here they used the Pythagorean theorem which is weird to me because I don't see a nice triangle.
The triangle isn't shown in the picture. The vertical leg of the triangle goes from the center up to the horizontal strip. The horizontal leg is half the width of the strip. The hypotenuse is the radius of the circle.
PhysicsBoyMan said:
Where h meets w the triangle extends outside of the circle. We divide w by 2 I guess to treat it as like a radius?
No. See above.
PhysicsBoyMan said:
I guess my question is how do I describe width in terms of height in this context?
They already give you w in terms of h in the equation ##w = 2\sqrt{3^2 - h^2}.##

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Area of circle using integration

1. What is the formula for the area of a circle using integration?

The formula for the area of a circle using integration is A = ∫r^2πdr, where r is the radius of the circle.

2. Why do we need to use integration to find the area of a circle?

Integration is required to find the area of a circle because a circle is a continuous curve and cannot be broken down into simple shapes like rectangles or triangles. Integration allows us to find the area under the curve of the circle, which gives us the total area.

3. Can the area of a circle be found using other methods besides integration?

Yes, the area of a circle can also be found using the formula A = πr^2, where r is the radius. This is known as the area formula for a circle and is simpler to use for basic calculations.

4. What are the steps for finding the area of a circle using integration?

The steps for finding the area of a circle using integration are as follows:1. Set up the integral using the formula A = ∫r^2πdr.2. Determine the limits of integration, which will be the radius of the circle.3. Evaluate the integral using the fundamental theorem of calculus.4. Simplify the expression to get the final answer.

5. Is it possible to find the area of a circle using integration if the radius is not given?

No, the radius is a necessary component to finding the area of a circle using integration. Without knowing the radius, it is not possible to set up the integral or determine the limits of integration.